PIR Suggestion?

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone recommend a good PIR or two please?
Both outdoors, one is wall mounted & one is underside mounted.

Had a sneak their round last night and my pir's have been playing up, if it motion sensored him and turned my lights on, I'm sure he would have left sooner.

Reaction score

Had a sneak their round last night and my pir's have been playing up, if it motion sensored him and turned my lights on, I'm sure he would have left sooner.
I have only dabbled with 2 PIR's. The Bosch outdoor PIR OD-850 TriTech Motion Detector and Bosch BDL2-WP12G TriTech Motion Detector Pet Immune. I consider Bosch one of the top notch residential PIR's so went with them. Though, surely there are other's.
Both are hardwired, not wireless. You need 4 wires (+ and -, alarm in, alarm out). I used Cat6 cable (white/blue + blue, white/orange + orange, etc).
The OD-850 worked fantastic at a 50'x50' range. However, not pet friendly. So will trigger when the odd ball stray cat comes around. I do not remember if headlights or hot tailpipes set them off. Is outdoor rated and has a beefy encasement structure.
The WP12G works between 30'-40'x30'-40' range and does not trigger on small pets. Thank goodness. But does trigger either on headlights or hot tailpipes. Even though rated as indoor only, a little silicone fixes that. Unsure how long will survive outdoors but for now I'm happy.
I have 3 of the WP12G: one at each house corner and 1 on my lamp post. No human comes at me without me knowing it. The PIR's are hooked upto my DSC 1834 alarm system with the IP card (Envysalink) which interfaces with my Home Assistant home automation software which triggers all kinds of alerts
on the inside of my house (turns on my smart tv and displays Blue Iris UI3 outdoor cameras) and also audible alarm to wake me up. I could and probably will do other events such as flashing indoor or outdoor lights or fire up the outdoor sprinkler system. You get the idea. Hmm...maybe I should get one of those WiFi lawn mowers. Now that would be spooky!
For serious security, I tend to stay away from anything wireless. Same for my IP cameras. Don't want battery failure or a $3 Walmart radio device jamming the signals.

Reaction score

Oh...I should also mention...I am by far no security expert. I was kind of rushed into finding something that worked 100% and fast as I had my own security issue happening night after night.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well thanks so much @Holbs, that is a pretty good review. That specific model (pet friendly) has been updated since, but I'll easily find the replacement model now.

Hmm...maybe I should get one of those WiFi lawn mowers.
That made me laugh, I had a sneek theif last night and I would of loved to start the lawnmower at 6am, could you imaging his shock as it sat next to him creeping round. I like your style.

Reaction score
Well thanks so much @Holbs, that is a pretty good review. That specific model (pet friendly) has been updated since, but I'll easily find the replacement model now.

That made me laugh, I had a sneek theif last night and I would of loved to start the lawnmower at 6am, could you imaging his shock as it sat next to him creeping round. I like your style.
what do you mean...updated since? All Bosch pet friendly PIR's have a "WP" in their model #. From what I found online, only 2 options: 6G = 20'x20' area. 12G = 40'x40' area.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what do you mean...updated since?
Maybe I was mistaken in the "updated comment", but the BDL2-WP12G is not available in UK. We have ISC-BPR2-WP12. I think your model is for US, Canada, China & Russia. Perhaps it is because of 240V in UK, I don't know.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've always wondered why Dahua, Hik and the like do not offer cameras with motion AND\or PIR sensors to trigger recording. It seems like PIR would be much more accurate at reducing false triggers from wind,treee limbs, shadows etc. I mean none of my PIR security lights trigger for anything other than a person, animal or very high winds bending full bushes in front of them.
I have seen a few camera systems at Costco wihich have both, (night owl?), so if they can do it, and cheaply, why won't the big guys add it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've always wondered why Dahua, Hik and the like do not offer cameras with motion AND\or PIR sensors to trigger recording. It seems like PIR would be much more accurate at reducing false triggers from wind,treee limbs, shadows etc. I mean none of my PIR security lights trigger for anything other than a person, animal or very high winds bending full bushes in front of them.
I have seen a few camera systems at Costco wihich have both, (night owl?), so if they can do it, and cheaply, why won't the big guys add it?
Someone came here about 4 months ago with a Costco bought system that had both and said it worked like crap...or maybe it was operator error LOL.

I have found the AI in the newer cameras to be spot on...and so have many others: