Perspective multiplier

MikeR33

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was just randomly thinking if it would be an idea to request a perspective multiplier function added into BI, although these days using DS it's removing loads of false triggers it would be great if you could manipulate the min obj size and travel distance in a more dynamic way. Wouldn't expect this to be fully mappable in little zones across the cameras view (as with the detection zones) but a simple directional arrow which you could rotate to match the camera perspective and a multiplier value assigned so you could then make the min size\travel distance perfect for the longer distances without it then picking up an ant which was closer up (ok ant may be a bit far fetched but you hopefully get what I mean lol).

Good, bad or just plain stupid idea?

Haven't sent it through as a feature request or anything as yet.

Cheers,
Mike

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What he's getting at is that an object may only be 50 pixels at 100 feet but may be 500 pixels at 20 feet. If you set to the lower number, anything close that moves that matches causes a trigger. That is not always the desired result. If you set at 500 pixels you'd miss too many things in the distance. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think it would help rain streaks, but it would make a difference with a leaf blowing near the camera as an example.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not since I started using DeepStack. I only have one camera that it's a problem on and that is the only camera I have that uses its' own IR at night. All the others are augmented with external IRs so rain streaks aren't a problem. When I pulled the CAT for the cameras I also pulled a 16/2 to run 12VDC specifically for external IRs.

Blaster

Smaller IR

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The version of BI is a key for stationary objects. You need to be on version 5.5..2.x or higher. The algorithm for "occupied" and how it works has been greatly improved in the latest BI versions. The camera I'm talking about is a 5442-ZE bullet, zoomed to mac with long range IR at max, and watches our parked cars so getting detection without constantly detecting the cars is important. There is a lot of external IR there as well, but one side is in a shadow created by the cars and I use the long range IR of the camera to brighten that area.

By having the IR lights to one side or the other, or above or below, the camera lens the amount of light reflected by rain/snow/fog is dramatically reduced. Plus they are more powerful which extends night vision further. The disadvantage is that you can get washout, blow out, of faces at close ranges, but careful placement of the IR and careful adjustment of shutter, gain and compensation can mitigate that quite well.

Prior to DS I just lived with the false triggers. Since DS it's no longer much of a problem. There are still occasional false trigger, but maybe one during a heavy rain storm rather than constantly.

If you're think about DS you should get a graphics card, NVidia Tesla, GT1030 or better. Most CPUs will struggle with the added load from DS and frequently time out, the dreaded "100 error", from the added load. You will need to use the GPU version of DS with those cards and installation of DS also requires some additional libraries to take advantage of the CUDA capabilities that are key to DS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have DS or motion highlighting either - I temporarily turned it on in that picture. Even so, I can't see how highlighting motion could trigger the camera.
View attachment 109412

I guess what I'm asking is... do you ever have issues with rain?
In that instance, I would probably clone a camera and tighten up the BI motion to try to eliminate most of the rain triggers if the rain is sending you alerts to your phone.

I did that before DS - the rain mainly comes straight down, so I made zones that had to go left and right and didn't extend the zones past what I really wanted to be notified about.

MikeR33

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Popped on to answer the question and it's already been covered in detail :)

I have emailed BI support about the suggestion, I expect it will depend on the complexity of such an addition and the extra calculation power which would be needed to recompute the size\distance travelled on detections.