Outdoor RJ45 Couplers & Housings

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Big fan of Platinum Tools - all things fiber & cat related.

Of course, always recommended to pull new cable when needed. But sometimes (usually always) it is easier to extend an existing CAT run vs. pulling new - especially outdoor runs.
Here's a few items that will help, Weather & Water proof couplers (shown on page 1) and housing (page 2).
1677779607561.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I strongly encourage dielectric grease in each RJ45 connector if it is outdoors and not sheltered well. Even connectors wrapped in coax seal (self-fusing silicone tape) and such can get tiny amounts of water that slowly builds up over time and causes a failure. But if you fill the RJ45 female jacks with this grease before you plug in the male connector, it will do a lot to prevent failures.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could filling the female jacks with dielectric grease get in the way of establishing desired conductivity between the connected conductors/contacts?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Home Depot has some similar covers that I've used for cams that I have installed in trees. Kind of big for the camera connections but they've worked well. Mine see all kinds of weather and I've never seen any evidence of water inside when I've opened them. I do still use grease and tape them up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could filling the female jacks with dielectric grease get in the way of establishing desired conductivity between the connected conductors/contacts?
We have not seen that happen. The connections usually are tight against one another and squeegee it out to make solid contact.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No. Not with anything making a tighter connection at least. When connected the pins displace all but an incidental layer of the grease. If you search there are tests that various people have done to measure the effect. Which is none in all cases that I've ever seen.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like a good thing to do then. Thank you for the original mention above, as well as additional opinions.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the link to the wiki - have been perusing it but missed this point.
Underscores that there is great info there.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No.
The proper di-electric grease is designed and formulated to allow conductivity and prevent oxidation, corrosion, etc. I use CRC Technician Grade.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like good stuff, will get some.