OpenVPN can't be stopped

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I always start OpenVPN Gui when the computer start. Then I get a little square sign down right on the screen. Rightclicking on it I get a little menu and on top of it Login. Clicking on it I have the vpn tunnel open after a few seconds.

But today I discover that after stopping my webcamera stream and logout on the same place I have login, the connection still was open. I have tried everything to kill it, restarted the computer etc. but it still open. May be it has something to do with my new router version or it could be that I tried out both two vpn channels client1.ovpn and client2.ovpn. Because I with both two available have to choose between them in the mention menu, I tried to stop client2. I did it changing client2.ovpn to client2.ovpnx and changed the Openvpn client2 to NO. It seems to work, and now I am sure that it is the client1 that is the open connection.

I have tried to restart, I have killed the prosess OpenVPN, I have started and stoppen Openvpn gui but still the connection is open. (I use win 10 pro 64 bit). The only safe is to set the client to NO or shut down the computer. But the last one is out of question and set the client to NO and reguire login to the router etc.

As I have a wireless broadband in the other end i may cost me a lot if I can't stop the connection (tunnell). It is 300 km away. 9 GB for the last 3 hours.

Now I am out of suggestions and hope for help here. IT'S URGENT! (client1.log attached together with the asus OpenVPN client1.

Attachments

Last edited:

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, Smilingreen.
But look here OpenVPN Client Connect For Windows | OpenVPN where I can read that (my) old version still can be used. My version is OpenVPN GUI v11.10.0.0

May be I should try an asus forum regarding the VPN server, but it would be nice to get some answer about the mysterious open vpn tunnel (when OpenVPN Gui is closed) which can't be killed. Can the tunnel be left behind in any way when the Gui close?

Looking into my ASUS RT-AC68U wrt merlin and OpenVPN server, I can see nothing metioned about OpenVPN version. I established the OpenVPN the first time about 3-4 years ago and have upgraded firmware to merlin 2 years ago and never needed to answer (find) OpenVPN version. Is this OK?

I am also interested in the difference between OpenVPN 2 and 3 and if I can use the same client1.ovpn on both.

And last(?), I have the client files only here: C:user/me/OpenVPN/config/client1/client1.ovpn and C:user/me/OpenVPN/config/client2/client2.ovpn AND NOT in C:program files/OpenVPN/config/ or simular. Can that be a problem?

Attachments

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
For your consideration:
  • save your oVPN settings (to file) on the workstation that does not seem to quit (I would also capture screen shots, and/or write down of all the client settings/config**)
  • un-install the oVPN client, then reboot the machine
  • perform a fresh install of the most recent oVPN client
** Because there is such a discrepancy between the version your are running, and the latest rev, the settings file might not work. Having screen shots and/or documented settings are a much needed safety net

If it were me, I would manually configure the new install of oVPN client to ensure nothing in the config file from the previous instance brings over the "can't disconnect" issue.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, SpacemanSpiff.
I can't find any difference between very old client1.ovpn and the last one. But I have never fixed the warning about cashing passwords (see pic of my client1.ovpn above).

One important question; do you mean (or are afraid of) that the asus last firmware and the OpenVPN GUI last version may give a change in the VPN client page?

My question on OpenVPN on the remote server my be silly, but I like to know.

My memory is not what it was, but it struck me that I earlier used something inside windows instead of OpenVPN GUI. I am not sure I have deleted / quit that option. Could that be the reason OpenVPN not stopped?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Last I was aware, the oVPN (GUI, server version, etc) within the router are all bundled with the firmware of the router itself. That being said, there is nothing oVPN specific that can be upgraded (besides the settings themselves) without performing a complete upgrade to the router's firmware. Following the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) I believe the router is not currently high on the list of things to be focusing on based on the information you've shared so far.

My previous suggestions are specific to the workstation running the oVPN client that does not seem to want to quit. Based on the information seen in the cli.jgp you shared, as @Smilingreen mentioned, your oVPN client (on the workstation) is version 2.4.6, and there are numerous newer releases of the client.

I believe efforts would be best focused on troubleshooting the workstation at this point

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again.

Looking on the picture, is it normal that the client tries "connecting......" when OFF?

Attachments

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
For clarity. Are you trying to troubleshoot issues with oVPN (seemingly not shutting down) on the router, or on your workstation?

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My remote router VPN server is OFF but I hope for local help to get in ON tomorrow. But my problem in first place is on my home Workstation and home router.

I just found something more. In the asus router VPN client1 it Applies automatic when I change from OFF to ON, but for client2 I got a warning and it Applies not, se the picture. What can it be and how to fix it.

Attachments

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
  1. Is your home router configured to be a VPN server?
  2. Is the home workstation configured to connect (via VPN) to the home router VPN server?
If the answer to #2 is "yes", then you should unconfigure the worksation from connecting to your home router VPN server. The only oVPN client connection(s) to your home router VPN server should originate from outside you home network

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May be as a test earlier 2) but not now. Both home server 1 and 2 are OFF. When I have been able to set the remote VPN server ON I'll check it again.
But can the "Username" question have something to do with that?

I remember the "Server address" in the vpn client is called "Username", but it is not missing as you can see on my picture. What else can it be?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep asking about your workstation and you keep talking about your router, so I'll forego the workstation discussion at this point.

@llarsx are you trying to establish a VPN connection WITH your home router to another device acting as a VPN Server?

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My case is an Asus RT-AC68U both in my home and an ASUS RT-AC68U in my summer cottage. I use VPN (OpenVPN) to reach the summer cattages webcamera. It is there I have the VPN server1 and VPN server2. At home I have the VPN client1 and client2 - and not server. I use mobil, ipad and computer at home to see streams from the camera.

As far as I know my home computer is not configured to a home server. Allthough I have tested (filled in the all the fields) but not changed to ON.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
It would be helpful to know why you have 2 remote VPN servers on one site

The mobile, iPad, and computer at home... all three have their respective version of oVPN client installed on them, correct?

Last edited:

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been recommended to have two different VPN servers. Nice to have if one is going down.

The mobile (android) and ipad have the same setting. Import client1.ovpn and have to set username and password. The rest (timeout etc.) is preset. All inside the app OpenVPN Connect 3.2.4. All of them use the same client1.ovpn.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been recommended to have two different VPN servers. Nice to have if one is going down.
wwhhAAATTTT ? So you have two remote VPN servers at one site... for redundancy... 300km away, and part of the problem is one is down and getting <someone> there to restart it. SOOoooo... is the redundant (second) remote VPN server not working?

Sorry, I distracted myself...

Seems like your "9 GB for the last 3 hours" tunnel connection is due, primarily, to your home router (itself) being configured as a VPN client, which is maintaining a persistent VPN connection (times 2) to your remote VPN servers.
Because the home router (itself) is configured to be the client to your remote VPN server(s), If I am not mistaken, there is no need for the VPN client on your home mobil, ipad and computer devices as the VPN connection is already established between the home router and remote VPN server

<2 cents>
  • get to your remote site and get the remote router (routers?) and VPN servers working correctly
  • delete all VPN client apps, and settings from your home mobil, ipad and computer devices
  • un-configure/remove any/all VPN settings from your home router -- this will eliminate the persistent (always on) VPN connections to the remote site and reduce the bandwidth your generating.
  • install the most recent version(s) of oVPN client on your home mobil, ipad and computer devices
  • configure two profiles on each of your home mobil, ipad and computer devices:, one for remote VPN server #1 and another for remote VPN server #2
When you wish to view your remote webcams, launch ONE of the two profiles on the respective home device, look at stuff, then close the session when you are done.

It might seem less streamlined than your current model, however it helps compartmentalize possible oVPN client issues by isolating it to each respective home device. Client problems with iPad? The other two devices should still work, etc. Of course, if future problems are remote VPN server related, and your redundant VPN server is also down, you will most likely need to take a 300 km ride, regardless of how the oVPN clients are set at home

</2 cents>

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just found something: I have an old laptop I haven't used since last year. I logged in to the home router from it and the same Warning box asking for username for client2 occured also there. Therefore I almost sure it must be something on the remote server regarding server2 causing the problem, not on my home computer og client2 there. I still haven't been able to travel there or get help from a nabour - may be early next week.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My nabour just fixed the remote router for me. Now everything work OK both for client1 and client2. The only thing which was a little strange, was that he found server2 ON, but I couldn't reach it. I asked him to set it off and apply and back to on add apply, and then it worked OK on client2. The server1 was Off (my own failure) and he set it ON and applied. I have logged in and out on both client and everything work fine. And no connection left when both logged out.

The mysterius login is fixed (dissapaired) and everything (both client1 and client2) work as before.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... The only thing which was a little strange, was that he found server2 ON, but I couldn't reach it....
Not strange at all. Accessing the VPN server services on any appliance is directly influenced by the correct operation of the appliance's basic functionality. In this case, your router was "doink'd" at a low level (basic operation) and the VPN server service was, at the least, not reachable... if even running at all.

Good to hear the re-boot corrected everything