OpenALPR/Rekor Scout with i5 3470T?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Does Rekor Scout use the intel iGPU?

I currently have OpenALPR/Rekor Scout running in a Windows VM, but damn it uses a lot of CPU. I've just cut down the number of cores it has to try and get things in order, but I want it to run on something more efficient. I don't want it to run on the same box as BI, unless that's what you all are doing?

I have an old Lenovo M73 Tiny with an i5 3470T. What do you think? Would it run well? It would then also get the iGPU

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah OpenALPR is CPU intensive at times depending on your field of view. I think similar to not running BI on a T processor, I think OpenALPR is the same way or worse. OpenALPR CPU usage is usually higher than my BI usage.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, lots of tree shadows in view which does not help I'm sure

If GPU's were somewhat reasonable now I'd look into that

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It can utilize Nvidia GPUs but I don't think the Intel iGPUs.

I run mine in a dedicated Ubuntu VM. I give it four cores and it usually sits around 25% CPU usage with spikes into 50% during heavy motion (rain, dim lighting, lots of cars, etc...).

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The host CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600AF. Camera is a Z12 at 20 fps and a CBR of 14Mbps. I have the agent masked off about 25% (top and bottom of frame) which helps with CPU.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting, perhaps I should mask mine off a bit. Although I have them zoomed quite a lot so I can't mask much

Your CPU cores are probably quite a bit faster than mine, currently it has 4 vCPU's off an E5-2680 v4, which is a little long in the tooth now

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually I just looked and I don't have a mask. I must have removed it at some point and never added it back.

Yes, the core speed advantage is pretty large. Try and spin up an Ubuntu VM and install the agent onto it. See if its easier on the cores than running it in Windows. Windows always imparts a peformance penalty on programs.