Oh, the irony

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, I've got a wall mounted 18RU rack, stacked with a UDM Pro, 2 Unifi 24 port switches and three 24 port patch panels. A few months ago, out of curiosity, I placed a WiFi temperature monitor on the top of the rack. Anyway, the max temperature so far has been 35 degrees (C) and now we are into our summer, still have a few hot months left.

I started researching rack fans, yeah some are cheap and some are expensive, and you guessed it I was drawn to the more expensive models that included temperature controls. Here in Australia the temperature style fans start at $200 up to $400+.

As an interim hack job, I purchased a cheap 20cm fan ($25 from Bunnings) and a wireless temperature power socket ($30, also from Bunnings). In my rack I have heaps of room at the bottom to place the fan, which I did, and presto, I now have a temperature-controlled fan that turns on when the temperature reaches 35 degrees. It hasn't activated yet as we've had a few not-so-hot days.

Anyway, getting back to the title, oh, the irony. My power socket app tells me to move the power socket to a better WiFi location. My rack is in a storeroom, what I call my comms room, under the stairs and is well and truly away from the living areas. Having said that the power socket still picks up a signal, albeit a weak one.

The second image better displays the fan and powersocket.

20230131_085724.jpg20230131_085731.jpg