Off the wall

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a situation tomorrow that the camera needs to be slightly off the wall. I wasn't sure how I was going to do it, so I thought about something like this. What ya guys think?

IMG_0022.jpg

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hope your kidding lol.

That would hurt when it hit your head. :)

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It won't be the height of a human, lol. It will be about 15-20 feet up on a wall and very well secured to the wall. I hope you didn't think I meant right where I was holding it with my hand, lmao!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you take a piece of conduit out the other end w/a 90 and take it up to the celling? I would worry that it'd vibrate with a rush of cars/people.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gotta be a different way. This is where a factory wall mount may work better

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
can you take a piece of conduit out the other end w/a 90 and take it up to the celling? I would worry that it'd vibrate with a rush of cars/people.
Vibrate? It's mounted on a solid brick wall. I'm also going to drill a hole in the gray lower box where the outdoor cat5 is going to pass through and insert a set screw into the conduit just in
case of a hurricane. The factory mounts really do not bring the camera several inches off of the wall, otherwise I would have just bought one.

TSBKTDO06.JPG

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I personally don't see anything wrong with that Vector, I've made up similar things previously to mount floodlights to. All I would suggest is to fix a full saddle over the conduit on the vertical above the box to give it extra support. You might need to stand it off with something if the saddle won't fit flush to the wall.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably ok, provided you use a longer vertical piece of conduit on the wall, so you can put a couple pipe straps on it, taking the strain off the threaded connector.

I'm thinking maybe a 12" or 16" vertical run before the 90 deg bend out away from the wall. Pair of straps. Nice and snug will help keep it positioned and the top one will carry the vertical forces.

Might still vibrate a bit in the wind though, if mounted outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is that the new metal Dahua you was talking about

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bug zapper mounted in the back yard attached to a fence using the same conduit and compression fittings, id say the zapper weighs more than that rig and its holding up to high winds.. so its a sound idea.

most parking garages tend to deal with alot of vibration; being mounted like that could amplify tiny ones into larger more visible on screen.. move the box further down and put conduit length above it with a few anchor straps.

Attachments

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, we installed 6 of these setups today. The only thing I changed was I drilled a 1/2 inch self tapper into the conduit where it goes into the lower box to make it impossible to move. We also, mounted the lower box with all 4 tabs and it was a solid piece. We had no choice, but went with outdoor cat5 wire going up to the box and all the connections are above the camera in the white round box.

Clipboard01-122.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Last edited: