Object Crosses Zones

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Often Blue Iris indicates that a single zone causes the motion trigger. It will sometimes show something like "Motion ABC", which is how I intend it to work, but other times it will shows simply "Motion H". Based on how I set up Object Crosses Zones, I intend it to only trigger if an object crosses from two zones into a third zone. The Object Crosses Zones data that I use is as follows:

AB>C,BC>D,CD>E,DE>F,EF>G,FG>H,HG>F,GF>E,FE>D,ED>C,DC>B,CB>A,GH>A,HA>B,AH>G,BA>H

Does anyone know why I would often get "Motion H"?

Thanks for your help!

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just had another trigger, an Amazon driver pulls up and Blue Iris catches him crossing many zones and triggers appropriately with ABCDH. Then, the driver gets out of the car and is definitely only in zone H and Blue Iris triggers again with "Motion H". It is not a big deal this time because it's a person; however, most of the time the "Motion H" triggers are false alarms due to shadows.

I thought maybe it was a glitch because the last letter in the Object Crosses Zones was an "H" and it did not have a comma afterwards, but tried adding the comma at the end of the sequence and that made no difference. Also swapped out AH>G and BA>H order so the sequence ends in G, but am still getting the "Motion H".

(The "Not Required for Retriggers" box is not checked)

1714341063281.png1714341162097.png

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Zone H is the "hot zone", its triggers are very sensitive, and H zone should only be used in limited special situations.
Read up on it in the Blue Iris help file.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plus that is way too many zones and too small to be effective, thus the problems you are experiencing.

The way the motion works I bet a car could pass thru an entire zone and not be recognized.

Turn on the motion detection blocks and playback and see what I mean. You will clearly see you have too many and too small.

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Zone H is the "hot zone", its triggers are very sensitive, and H zone should only be used in limited special situations.
Read up on it in the Blue Iris help file.
Duh, don't know why I never read that before. That makes perfect sense as to why I'm getting these "Motion H" triggers. Thank you so much!

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plus that is way too many zones and too small to be effective, thus the problems you are experiencing.

The way the motion works I bet a car could pass thru an entire zone and not be recognized.

Turn on the motion detection blocks and playback and see what I mean. You will clearly see you have too many and too small.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that too. My issue is that I’m trying to catch cars, but also people walking and so it’s a bit tricky. Thx again!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera is it? Does it have AI - that would be much better than BI motion detection.

And if it doesn't have AI, then use CodeProject.

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What camera is it? Does it have AI - that would be much better than BI motion detection.

And if it doesn't have AI, then use CodeProject.
It's a Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12, it's 7 years old and so I don't think it has AI. I was considering CodeProject, but then I have to get a new PC because my processor is too old. After I removed the Zone H, it seems to be working very well. Thanks for your comments!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12, it's 7 years old and so I don't think it has AI. I was considering CodeProject, but then I have to get a new PC because my processor is too old. After I removed the Zone H, it seems to be working very well. Thanks for your comments!
It does not have AI.