NVR5216-16P-4KS2 HDD issue

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 2 brand new WD Purples in my NVR5216-16P-4KS2 (from Andy) and they work fine....until they fill up. As soon as both drives are full, HDD #1 reports Disk Error for some reason and the disks are fine. I have to reformat the HDD before it starts to record again. It's set to overwrite when full.

Firmware:
nvr firmware.PNG

Error:
Disk Error.PNG
Nothing shows in the logs either.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
swap disks internally and see if HDD2 starts erroring; if so pull that one out and run WD Diganostic tools on em in a PC

I believe you can access additional HDD diagnostic/scanning tools through the OSD if you plug a display into it.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok will try that tonight

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well that's not a good sign.

Hope WD have a Mac version of their Hdd tool. Pretty disappointing experience coming back to WD after 10yrs to have a failure within 6 months.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That stinks, @nogi. At least this isn't one of those mystery NVR5216 issues...

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll run the disk util on it when I get home from the Mac to see if any useful info comes out regarding the error but will be RMAing this drive.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get anywhere with that issue? Mine 5216 will be on the way next week, so preparing myself for any potential issues...

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so confirmed that the HDD was dead. They sent me a credit/refund instead of a replacement drive which is kind of annoying. What HDDs do people recommend for 24x7 recording in the Dahua?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Western Digital purple drives are popular for constant video recording and that's what I use. Any hard drive manufacturer can have a DOA... I'd go with another one.