NVR for Dahuas and a lonely Hikvision

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm looking at Andy's AliExpress store to decide what kind of NVR I should get to support a system that'll be mostly Dahua cameras. I have a HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I 3MP kicking around (I've not used an NVR in the past) that I'd like to also make use of in my build as well. Not looking to run a dedicated PC with BlueIris as I don't have a desire to run a Windows PC 24/7 and feel a purpose-built device is not going to take up as much space and electricity.

I figure I should get something capable of up to 16 cameras (8 is probably enough but never know if I'll need 9 or 10).

Remote viewing is definitely a consideration; will likely VPN into my home network from my android device.

Anyone have any recommendations?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not who you're asking, but....
The main reason I chose external POE was to have less money tied up in the NVR if it broke or I wanted to replace it for some reason. This is paying off because I didn't get along with my first NVR and switched to the 5216-4ks2. An external POE switch gives you more flexibility in that you can locate the NVR away from where all the camera cables run to, and it's easier to log onto the cameras directly from your computer. The downside of the external switch is you'll probably have to learn more about networking than you want to. For a guru like nayr, it's a non-issue. For somebody like me who knew a little bit, it has been difficult. For somebody who isn't tech-oriented it could be overwhelming. If you're concerned about noise external POE could be an issue. The non-POE 5216 has a fanless external power brick and the case fan is very reasonable, noise-wise. I've heard (don't know first hand) that the POE models have loud fans. Noise is also an issue with the POE switch. Some are fanless, others sound like a low flying jet. Mine was like this before I changed out the fans. Just another thing to be aware of.

About the Hikvision camera, it may or may not play well with the 5216 using ONVIF. I've got two high-end LTS cameras (most likely identical to Hikvision) that aren't compatible with the 5216. Yet, the low-end Chinese market Hickvision camera is. Another "go figure" situation.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any reason you recommend external POE? I was looking at the NVR5216-16P-4kS2..
External poe is better.. you can hide your NVR much easier, you can run other PoE devices such as IR Illuminators, WiFi, Etc. youc an connect directly to the cameras and configure settings that the NVR hides.. you can use 3rd party cameras alot easier, etc.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was planning on external Poe myself for the reasons you mentioned. I want to keep all my Ethernet drops in the garage and store the NVR at the top of an indoor closet where I've already run a ups-fed outlet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Does Andy sell this particular model on his aliexpress store? I can only find the one with built in poe on his store.

It's not listed on the store, but if you PM him I'm sure he can get it for you. I know others on the forum have gotten it from him. I also will be going with this unit and have found it on BEC and I believe that is a store he is involved with. Quite a nice price from BEC, too.

M!key

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.