Nvr and switch in different positions help

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, hopefully a quick and easy question!!!! I have 11 dahua cameras all running to an out house building where a dahua POE nvr is also located. I run an Ethernet cable from my main house to supply internet access via a single Ethernet cable. If I was to add 2 extra cameras on my main house can i use this main internet cable to somehow get signal to nvr??? Hope this makes sense

Steve

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know about your specific NVR but my Uniarch NVR will let me add cameras on the LAN side of the NVR just the same as if they were on the POE side of the NVR.
I just have to tell it was IP address to look for and they're good to go.

Keep in mind if they're on the LAN side they will be exposed to the internet.
You might want to look at restricting that.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks looktall, not the best with actual networking!! Can install cameras and wire the Ethernet cables but struggling with actual network knowledge!! So are you saying that I can send 2 new camera data down the internet cable supply to my out building and it will work without anything else ? Cheers again

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well you will need a POE switch or external power to actually power the cameras, but apart from that it should work fine.

I have 7 cameras running on my 8 port NVR.
5 of the cameras plugged directly into the NVR POE ports.
The other 2 plug into a POE switch which also has the NVR LAN port plugged into it.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so before I buy a switch can I just double check if I have this correct??

main house router with four Ethernet ports all full with one running to out building.

add a Poe switch next to it with extra ports, connect it to router with Ethernet cable ?
Add 2 new cams to new switch
Run the Ethernet supply to out building from new Poe switch?
keep everything else as is at present and I should be able to find new cams on nvr either manually or will automatically find ? Again thanks so much

Steve

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that's how mine is set up.

Main router with 4 ports.
1 port plugs into poe switch, the remaining 3 go elsewhere unrelated to cameras.

2 cameras and nvr plug into poe switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You didn't mention the NVR brand and number of channels, but keep in mind you cannot exceed the capacity of the NVR. So if you have a 4 channel NVR, you can only hook 4 cameras to it, not 4 in the back and then 2 more via an external switch.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You didn't mention the NVR brand and number of channels, but keep in mind you cannot exceed the capacity of the NVR. So if you have a 4 channel NVR, you can only hook 4 cameras to it, not 4 in the back and then 2 more via an external switch.
A valid point however they do say they already have 11 cameras going to a dahua NVR so it's a safe bet that they have a 16 port NVR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, but the comment was also for someone coming across this later in a search so that they are aware of the limitation, and to make sure that it was indeed an NVR and not an XVR that could limit channels to 12. We see people come here interchanging the words DVR, XVR, and NVR on occasion and since the model number wasn't provided, we cannot assume LOL.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for lack of information but at work and don’t have full details but is a dahua 16 port Poe nvr cheers everyone