NVR and Reolink

stefs321

n3wb
Reaction score
I mostly use watch cams from pc.
And it used to work good. Before a couple of days u get some no brand onvif nvr just to watch cams on substrem, and nvr works.
But, when i get to watch on PC again, it stutter, before everything works good.
When i delete camera from NVR, view on pc is better.
Do anyone have idea why and how to fix this?
This is for Reolink Duo.
On 410w, on NVR works very very bad, but on pc its even not watchable.
Advices?
Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your network probably cannot handle streaming data heavy 24/7, never take a break video to the NVR and your computer at the same time. Unlike streaming services, these devices do not buffer, so we see this all the time from people running cameras thru a router.

stefs321

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for you answer!
Is there any solution?
I have 100mps speed, i really dont have any problem before.
I just play one substream on nvr, and one main on pc, thats all.
sub is 640x360 and main is 1080p.
I really cant believe this can be a problem for network.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your internet speed isn't the issue. We see this issue ALL THE TIME HERE. Especially if two or more users are trying to access it at the same time. You are not the first to experience it and post the question and you won't be the last.

The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router. Then you throw on top of it a reolink that may or may not be able to multi-stream to two users and you get these issues.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether the camera is wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

So the more cameras you add or more streams you try to push concurrently, the bigger the potential for issues.

It is why most of us isolate our cameras so that they are not going thru the router.

stefs321

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for explanation!
I never think about this, you isolate with poe switch? But even if you do this, cameras must go through router?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct.

From this graphic courtesy of samplenhold, you will notice the cameras are on one IP subnet (192.168.2.xxx) while everything else is on IP subnet 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

Doing so in this format prevents the cameras from going thru the router. Now this is for BI, but the concept is the same for an NVR. Your NVR acts as the POE switch for the BI computer in this diagram.

1678642563130.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is BI? Blue Iris?
So practically there si nothing i can do right now?
BI is Blue Iris which is simply another form of an NVR.

The best thing you can do is try to get the devices off of the router via another switch that is designed to pass that kind of data demands.

And check and see if reolink allows simultaneous feeds at the same time. Some devices struggle trying to send to an NVR and having someone pull it up on a computer or app.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read there that it can 8-12 persons:
TEXT
But, another switch must be on cable with all cameras?
How many cars can travel from France to Poland ..

Answer: depends on the routes they take and the bottle necks and time frame ..

Make certain you have added a good 1 giga + switch downstream from the router like @wittaj diagrammed .. if you already have that, please let us know.

stefs321

n3wb
Reaction score
I will do this and then see.
Its just strange for now, cam is stuttering even on pc now where before worked good, even when i turn off nvr.
I probably must delete cam from NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anything can help like dropping FPS to 10 and lower resolution and bit rate, but reolink and getting the camera off the router are the best choices.