NTP on new Router

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you are all set then. You can always validate it via an NMAP scan. How much "float" are you talking about here? Only a few seconds?
how can i do that from my mac?

right now its only off a second, but im sure tomorrow at this time it will float alot more.... and be minutes off my next week.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Clocks will drift over time. They all do it. If you have serious drift then there may be something wrong with NTP somewhere. Whether it's a problem with the camera versus your NTP server is what you need to narrow down. On a mac you can install NMAP and scan your router locally to see what ports it is listening on. It should be listening on port 123 which is what the NTP service listens on. You can download NMAP from here: Apple Mac OS X | Nmap Network Scanning

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Clocks will drift over time. They all do it. If you have serious drift then there may be something wrong with NTP somewhere. Whether it's a problem with the camera versus your NTP server is what you need to narrow down. On a mac you can install NMAP and scan your router locally to see what ports it is listening on. It should be listening on port 123 which is what the NTP service listens on. You can download NMAP from here: Apple Mac OS X | Nmap Network Scanning
should the clocks drift?

yea, i have never used a NTP server before. i would just go in and click sync to pc every few weeks when i find out that the time was badly off.

Ill know tomorrow if its working or not. it looks to me like i have set it up correctly

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
That config looks correct & you even show hits for the NTP service which sounds promising. You can also try taking the problematic cams and decreasing the check interval. Run them every minute and see if the drift still happens. My theory is if the drift continues, they aren't really getting NTP properly or they aren't applying the time via NTP.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to add some context, I have 16 cameras all synching via a local NTP server every 30 minutes and I won't see more than a 1 second differential between cameras.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to add some context, I have 16 cameras all synching via a local NTP server every 30 minutes and I won't see more than a 1 second differential between cameras.
would running it locally on my mac be better than from the router?

tbh, im brand new to NTP.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
would running it locally on my mac be better than from the router?

tbh, im brand new to NTP.
It's not really necessary. I have NTP running on a virtual machine and point all my "stuff" there. Sounds like the Synology router should support it just fine. With all your cameras "checking in" with NTP every 10 minutes, you should not be seeing a bunch of drift. Keep and eye on it over the next few days and let's see how bad the drift gets.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not really necessary. I have NTP running on a virtual machine and point all my "stuff" there. Sounds like the Synology router should support it just fine. With all your cameras "checking in" with NTP every 10 minutes, you should not be seeing a bunch of drift. Keep and eye on it over the next few days and let's see how bad the drift gets.
thanks for the help.... !

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
thanks for the help.... !
Anytime. I've been using NTP servers both at home and have also set them up at work, so I have a little bit of experience. One thing you can look into though, is to see if there is some type of NTP log on the router that your can review. It would be great to verify that those cameras are checking in to get time updates and having a log to review would be a great first step in troubleshooting.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that Nettime program for PC an option? I'm using that with good results on mixed Cameras. Amcrest, Jidetech, Nightowl(DVR) Dahua,Empire Tech

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
after fighting with DTS and - UTC- time pst that didnt really line up, it seems to be holding time well via the ntp server. Ill check back tomorrow and let you know.

I did upgrade both firmwares that were very old.. so who knows if that did anything)

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you look into logging on the Synology?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you look into logging on the Synology?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
didn't check out the logs yet, but I can tell you that my Port 123 is not open to the world (a good thing)

and both my cams are synced up perfectly with time. lets se if this lasts...

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
just wanted to report back.. everything is is syncd up properly and it looks like my NTP server is working well.

thanks to all for the help.