No recording / black timeline on continuous recording

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined and I've been looking for a good robust solution for my security needs and I think Blue Iris is it. But since ipcams seem so fickle, I wanted to try the evaluation version of it. I heard it does everything the full version does except it has the watermark.

I ran into an issue where I am getting no picture or black / blank video on the timeline when I go to it by double clicking on a time in the timeline. I have two cameras but there will be a third eventually. It has live picture fine, and it acknowledges the timeline as a clip where I can drag the time indicator (red vertical line) around to different times but there is no video. The odd thing is, it worked fine the first time I set it up. I had it full yellow (I think I may have picked that color in the settings). But after a day or so it stopped working. I was so impressed on how well it worked and now nothing. I believe that I didn't change too many settings around but I remember changing my 2nd camera clip settings to do 1 hour clips instead of 8 hour clips. I left my first camera on 8hr clips. It messed up around that time, but I don't know if it was because of me. I also tried messing around with settings to have it save on a specific folder on my storage drive. Both cameras have a red outline around them showing they are recording. Even motion events get logged on the timeline but if I double click into the timeline and drag the red line over to it, there is no video. No flicker, nothing.

Maybe my search-fu is weak, but I couldn't find anything from searching Google or here.

My setup:
2x Foscam FI9821P
Windows 8.1
AMD FM2+ A10-7850k
16gb RAM 2100mhz
12tb storage (2x WD Red 6tb in RAID 0)
240gb SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would like to end my search for a good system already, this is so exhausting. If only I had a tiny bit more money I would so pay someone to figure all this out for me and set me up with a turn-key system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ChaosGuruWelcome to the forum. You issue is simple. You have combine and cut selected in the record tab of each camera. This causes the timeline to appear as though there was video recorded when there was not. If this bothers you disable combine and cut.
In the future note there are much better options than foscam and that an intel based system with intel HD video is better for blue iris overall.
You may also not have set recording properly, post an image of your record tab for each camera.

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
@ChaosGuruWelcome to the forum. You issue is simple. You have combine and cut selected in the record tab of each camera. This causes the timeline to appear as though there was video recorded when there was not. If this bothers you disable combine and cut.
In the future note there are much better options than foscam and that an intel based system with intel HD video is better for blue iris overall.
You may also not have set recording properly, post an image of your record tab for each camera.
Thanks, I'll try this when I get home.

My next system will be Intel no doubt so that's good to know.

Foscam has the word "scam" in it for a reason but I can't complain for the price range and my limited circumstances in my home due to being a renter. Once I get my own place, I will definitely upgrade.

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried unchecking "combine or cut video each" and it has had no effect.

I have discovered, however, that it is indeed recording, and the recordings are available for viewing on Blue Iris (I didn't have them converted to anything else). They view very well too. But I just can't "rewind" the live feed like a DVR. I was able to do this before.

Screenshots provided:
back.jpgfront.jpg

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed that I changed the database location as well because I wanted it on my storage array. Could this have caused the issue? I don't know what the default location is before I started messing around with it, otherwise I would try it out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that I changed the database location as well because I wanted it on my storage array. Could this have caused the issue? I don't know what the default location is before I started messing around with it, otherwise I would try it out.
Yes delete the database folder and let blue iris regenerate it, the exact location doesnt matter, but it should be on your fastest local drive.
Side note, you should set your pretrigger frames in your record tab to at least 2 times your fps (if you record on motion at some point).

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes delete the database folder and let blue iris regenerate it, the exact location doesnt matter, but it should be on your fastest local drive.
Side note, you should set your pretrigger frames in your record tab to at least 2 times your fps.
I got nothing. Still technically recording, still great live feed, but still no DVR function. I even restarted the computer. FYI the database path is blank.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got nothing. Still technically recording, still great live feed, but still no DVR function. I even restarted the computer. FYI the database path is blank.
You need to put a path for the database. The default is c:\BlueIris\db
You should not mess with settings until you read the help file and understand them or you will just cause problems for yourself.

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to put a path for the database. The default is c:\BlueIris\db
You should not mess with settings until you read the help file and understand them or you will just cause problems for yourself.
That didn't do it either. I just reinstalled the program and it is now working correctly. Condescending tone all along the way aside, I appreciate the effort and tips.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That didn't do it either. I just reinstalled the program and it is now working correctly. Condescending tone all along the way aside, I appreciate the effort and tips.
Its not condescending. Its giving you proper advice. You need to read the manual. Otherwise I guarantee you will miss motion events. I am also putting advice out there so you dont buy subpar gear in the future.

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
As proper as the advice may be, it can still be delivered in a condescending tone, especially if it is unsolicited advice - ie, camera choice, processor choice, read the manual to not break the program, etc
You've never had good advice with a bad delivery? haha

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As proper as the advice may be, it can still be delivered in a condescending tone, especially if it is unsolicited advice - ie, camera choice, processor choice, read the manual to not break the program, etc
You've never had good advice with a bad delivery? haha
Its was not intended that way. I make the comments not only to help you but others who may read this. This forum was started because other forums would prevent users from commenting on camera brands which led folks to buy and keep junk cameras. Solicited or not its good advice.

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
You don't get it, but it's alright. You get technology but not humans, I understand. Good luck with that bruh.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't get it, but it's alright. You get technology but not humans, I understand. Good luck with that bruh.
I do understand compleletly. Folks take offense when they are told they purchase subpar equipment. The comment is aimed at the gear not at you. If that is too much, then look elsewhere on the net for a "safe space" where you will be coddled.

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
So you think that people would get offended if you looked down your nose at the only equipment choices they had a budget for? You don't say! At least you recognize that. But that was about gear so these snowflakes should just suck it up, right? What about when you told me to go read the manual before I break stuff, was that just me needing a blanky? I guess I'm just supposed to swallow that crappy attitude too, because I'm here getting help with something I'm not familiar with, huh? That's the price of admission I guess?

Trust me, I didn't point out your attitude because of some deep offense. It was to let you know your attitude stinks so that maybe... just maybe, you would check yourself a bit in the customer service department. Look, if you don't care about self improvement, or customer service, that's fine. But don't sit here and say you were not condescending and that your attitude doesn't suck, because your condescending still continues even after telling you. I hope you don't run this place because they need someone who doesn't only sees things in 1's and 0's.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you think that people would get offended if you looked down your nose at the only equipment choices they had a budget for? You don't say! At least you recognize that. But that was about gear so these snowflakes should just suck it up, right? What about when you told me to go read the manual before I break stuff, was that just me needing a blanky? I guess I'm just supposed to swallow that crappy attitude too, because I'm here getting help with something I'm not familiar with, huh? That's the price of admission I guess?

Trust me, I didn't point out your attitude because of some deep offense. It was to let you know your attitude stinks so that maybe... just maybe, you would check yourself a bit in the customer service department. Look, if you don't care about self improvement, or customer service, that's fine. But don't sit here and say you were not condescending and that your attitude doesn't suck, because your condescending still continues even after telling you. I hope you don't run this place because they need someone who doesn't only sees things in 1's and 0's.
There are better choices even at the same budget. That is exactly the point I am making. Shop smart. Advice on not changing settings if you dont know what they do is dead on! Cant tell you how many folks are disappointed because they miss crucial video because they improperly configured a setting. The attitude was not crappy, you simply took it as such because you are someone who gets highly offended when told they could have done better or that they have something to learn. I know that type.
I dont provide customer service, you are not paying for me to coddle you. I'm dispensing proper advice which can be harsh to those with thin skin. I do run this place so if you dont like it, dont let the door hit you on the way out. Quite frankly you need an attitude adjustment, you should be thankful someone is taking THEIR time to help you out.

ChaosGuru

n3wb
Reaction score
Better choices how? Does it fit in my particular window sill ok to look outside? Is it IR cut? How does the IR lights tape on it, or can I turn them off with software? Do they come in a color that works best for my situation? Is it wifi as well? Is it an easy set up for someone that is just getting into IP Cameras? Is the viewing angle correct? I just bought a C1 for $55 because I needed a wider angle and all of the wide angle cameras available don't seem to be BI compatible. Tell me where I can get a comparable camera with that kind of viewing angle for $55 that are compatible with BI, I seriously would like to know. I got the other cameras for less than $50 new. I'm sure I have a lot to learn, but I think it's safe to say you don't know my exact situation so you are assuming.

I mentioned that despite the condescending attitude throughout the entire thread, I still appreciated the help and the tips and you see me as unthankful? The reason I even mentioned something, wasn't out of some deep disrespect but because some people don't see that they are being that way and need help noticing. Heck, I didn't even take it personally. But now that I see that you are normally like that and apparently have no interest in any kind of self improvement or social skills whatsoever, my original intention to help you has long gone.

Sorry to hear that this place is run by a stereotypical disgruntled IT guy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Better choices how? Does it fit in my particular window sill ok to look outside? Is it IR cut? How does the IR lights tape on it, or can I turn them off with software? Do they come in a color that works best for my situation? Is it wifi as well? Is it an easy set up for someone that is just getting into IP Cameras? Is the viewing angle correct? I just bought a C1 for $55 because I needed a wider angle and all of the wide angle cameras available don't seem to be BI compatible. Tell me where I can get a comparable camera with that kind of viewing angle for $55 that are compatible with BI, I seriously would like to know. I got the other cameras for less than $50 new. I'm sure I have a lot to learn, but I think it's safe to say you don't know my exact situation so you are assuming.

I mentioned that despite the condescending attitude throughout the entire thread, I still appreciated the help and the tips and you see me as unthankful? The reason I even mentioned something, wasn't out of some deep disrespect but because some people don't see that they are being that way and need help noticing. Heck, I didn't even take it personally. But now that I see that you are normally like that and apparently have no interest in any kind of self improvement or social skills whatsoever, my original intention to help you has long gone.

Sorry to hear that this place is run by a stereotypical disgruntled IT guy.
I have no further interest in helping you. I don't need suggestions for improvement. I will suggest that you leave your attitude at the door. For the record I don't do IT

Reaction score
I have no further interest in helping you. I don't need suggestions for improvement. I will suggest that you leave your attitude at the door. For the record I don't do IT
Hi there, I have read this post and you seem to be very versed with Blue Iris. I've got close same issue, if you can help please let me know. I promise not to be irritated or an ass for you helping me, never kick a gift horse in the mouth. I think it goes that way. I think your customer service was awesome and if Im an idiot please let me know. (you didn't cell him one) but you can me one and I will take it constructively.

Thanks,

Ron