NO IP ADDRESS FOR CAMERA WHEN SEARCHING

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I always have trouble with my ip addresses changing when we lose power. Normally I can just go into camera settings -network config and then search for the camera ip. Most of the cameras show up but, I have one that the ip doesn't show. Both lights on the poe board going to the camera are lit up and I have tried unplugging already. Any other ideas.

Thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I always have trouble with my ip addresses changing when we lose power. Normally I can just go into camera settings -network config and then search for the camera ip. Most of the cameras show up but, I have one that the ip doesn't show. Both lights on the poe board going to the camera are lit up and I have tried unplugging already. Any other ideas.

Thanks,
go into your router and setup dhcp reservation for your cameras....you wont have this issue again.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok i was able to set all the cameras except the one that is giving me trouble. There is one ip address that comes up on my router that could possible be the camera but, the ip address is different than the others ex. 192.172.1.xx and all the other cameras are 192.172.123.xx can I change the first ip to match the second one?

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like your camera has a static IP assigned to it. You will likely need to connect to that camera and either set it for DHCP, or manually set an IP.

Also, 192.172.x.y is not a private address, it should be in the 192.168.0.0/16 range.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just put those numbers as an example. 192.168.1.*** is what all the cameras are and when I log into my router I see one address that I'm not sure what it is and thats 192.168.123.*** (I assuming this might be the other camera that i cant find)

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 192.168.123.x is probably your other camera. Can you compare the MAC?

To get to it, you will probably need to manually configure the IP address your PC.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The MAC I think is the same as the other cameras if that makes sense. Whats the best way to manually config the IP to my PC. I have some tech knowledge but still learning, kind of have to google things but eventually I can figure it out (sometimes).

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The MAC should not be the same, all MACs should be unique. They may be similar, but must be unique.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looney the article is telling you how to set your ip for the pc how do you call up just the camera?

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will need to change the IP of your PC to be on the same subnet as your camera. (unless your router has multiple Layer 3 LAN interfaces, which I assume it does not)

Once you do that, open a browser, and go to the IP address of your camera: http://192.168.123.x

You will have to figure it out from there, all cameras are different, but it should be fairly easy at that point.

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why would that disable all the cameras? You would do this temporarily to get connectivity to the rogue camera, and then change it back.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the reasons I would lose my static ip addresses? A camera went rogue again and I went look for my ip addresses for the other cameras and I have no static ip addresses listed anymore. Will power outages do this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the reasons I would lose my static ip addresses? A camera went rogue again and I went look for my ip addresses for the other cameras and I have no static ip addresses listed anymore. Will power outages do this?
no improper setup will do this...
the easiest fool proof way of doing it is to setup dhcp reservation in your router...otherwise set the cameras to static and set the ip address outside the dhcp range..you need to know what you are doing for this...google is your friend...
when setup properly, you can cycle power all day long with no issues.

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had cameras lose static IP addresses before. If the camera were to crash, it might return to a default configuration.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So just setting it up through my router by going to advanced setup then static routes will not keep them static?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Static routes is not DHCP reservations. Static routes is something totally different that you do not need to worry about.