Night Time Shots...

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are my three HikVision 3MP domes at night. Any thoughts on improving image quality, or is this as good as can be expected?

..and one Foscam 1MP (soon to be replaced with a HikVision 3MP):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@kevkmartin Welcome to the forum. Those images look like low resolution substream images...looks like you are using blue iris...post an image of your camera>video>configuration page.
Also post an image of the camera video settings (using a web browser direct to the camera).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How did you take the screenshots you posted, they are not full resolution images.

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Snapshots from the BI iPhone client.

I assume that means the settings looked correct?

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the best way to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It may just be my singular experience with Hik's 3mp dome, but I found the night vision was considerably worse (washed out, poor contrast) until I removed the dome. I only had one, and moved it inside as a kid's room camera. Without the dome, the image improved to every bit as good as the turret-style 3MP.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Judging at the size of the time stamp on the images, looks like OP was viewing the substream video feed + screenshots taken from the web stream from BI iPhone client = exactly that, bad quality images.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How's the image quality during daytime? Image quality at night is harder to get with 3mp, especially if you are not using any additional external lights. You can experiment lowering the exposure setting to 1/12 instead of 1/30, but this will lead to blurry pictures for moving objects. Maybe WDR can help too if used slightly (1-12 range). Otherwise, you could experiment changing the resolution to 2mp to see if you can find a balance between day/night picture quality.

And, are you sure these are the normal streams and not the substreams? They just look like substreams to me. The font pixelation keeps bugging me :) Usually, the regular stream will display the font not as pixelated.

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Daytime, I think is really good. These are already on 1/12 exposure. There is very little "real" light in these areas. As best I know, these are "main streams" - but if love to find out otherwise.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Daytime, I think is really good. These are already on 1/12 exposure. There is very little "real" light in these areas. As best I know, these are "main streams" - but if love to find out otherwise.
That is not too bad for 3mp cameras..the black cars are absorbing the IR light...you can play with the image settings like gain/contrast/brightness if you are looking for a brighter image.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What are your substream settings? (Configuration>Advanced Configuration>Video/Audio>Stream Type drop down = Sub Stream)

Also, take a look at the attached images and select the red marked areas to take another snapshot (if different from what you were doing)

Attachments

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We've got a prelude sh and mdx too. Yeah it's not bad, mainly just the black/dark cars not reflecting the light. Driveway lights on but how about the side and back cameras? Maybe turn them on or add extra ir lights.