Night Settings for LPR - Dahua Z12E

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have tested this in a cascade effect just for kicks and giggles, and I could run several off of it.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have tested this in a cascade effect just for kicks and giggles, and I could run several off of it.
One of the loryta on my nvr port wasn't enough to drive a ptz speeddome + a 4k mini turret. But using the splitter combiner with 2 ports work. I supposed it maybe able to drive 3 or 4 on turrets but those are low power

The surface mounted wall box I was using also can't hide the loryta where I can stuff the splitter and all the wires in. But that's my own specific use case

Last edited:

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Never seen those POE passive splitter before so that will be a good option, thanks.
Now struggling to get the LPR image but of course first of many settings.
Lot worse than my original (1st post) default settings with colour. I had not changed gain or brightness so perhaps that's where to start.
Gets to dark with higher shutter but at the moment clearly a brightness/contrast reflection, late at night so did not get a chance to leave car there and test.
Also not a problem but get some banding from my 10w LED floodlight on more than the 1/120

What is the main issue below, is it that the ambient image is just too bright?

DahuaLPRWorst.jpg17-Oct-2021 (2).jpg

17-Oct-2021.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The issue now is your camera went to B/W with infrared so the reflective plate is being washed out by the IR.

Go to a 1/1000 or 1/2000 shutter and you will read that plate, but then it will be dark like my image above (and almost everyone else that does LPR).

You might get away with 1/500, but you are experiencing what we said you would - that one camera cannot be the do all, see all. You need a camera for plates and an overview camera in most instances, especially at night.

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, thanks for fast response,
I know persisting to try & do both is foolish, I was so very close & in fact did work really well when the car was under 5pm an 10 feet from the gate but over the last 20 feet cars could be a quite different speeds and stop either 5 to 15 feet away & those stopping right close to the gate were still moving a fraction too fast at the last few reading points.

was just looking back at your advise to others & see that it is the high shutter and normally dark image.
Will set that up & sort another camera.

Thanks again for all your help.

To be honest it was also the extra camera & wire just all a bit of a mess on the gate post & looks a little like entrance to fort knox.
All made slightly trickier as the area in the back is where my clients park & often turn into my bit so have to zone & trigger very carefully to prevent capture & alerts from these, but getting early enough that don't have to wait long for the gate to open, otherwise I could point much more outwards & further out.