night owl dvr password problem

helpful55

n3wb
Reaction score
Night Owl BBHDA10PB-82-RS. Of course I can get no help with this specific from night owl. The password I get using their reset system will not work. (I need to log in to even access the menu selections). There is no reset button on this I can find. I removed the bios button battery and reinstalled. No change. This has a battery backup so I removed all of those battery connections so it had no power. Again removed the bios battery then reinstalled it and replugged in the battery and power and started. Still no go. It will not accept the supplied temp password. It does not seem to be fully resetting the system so I can do an initial setup with a new password. Anyone know how to do this?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try their provided password reset portal here ?

FWIW, the coin cell battery inside the DVR/NVR is there to maintain the real time clock & calendar when the unit is not powered up, it does not maintain BIOS/CMOS settings....all configuration settings are maintained by non-volatile memory....eeprom, IIRC.

helpful55

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you try their provided password reset portal here ?

FWIW, the coin cell battery inside the DVR/NVR is there to maintain the real time clock & calendar when the unit is not powered up, it does not maintain BIOS/CMOS settings....all configuration settings are maintained by non-volatile memory....eeprom, IIRC.
Yes, that is exactly the procedure I have been using. I didn't know if the battery would do it but I had to try something. Seems like there may be some kind of way to fully reset the system since the other way is not working.

J C

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no way to factory reset night owl NVRs...

helpful55

n3wb
Reaction score
The login box has device id (with 000000 already in it), user (with admin already in it), and password (empty until I enter it). I forget the exact error it gives. I may also mention the user box. Maybe this also has a user other than admin set.

helpful55

n3wb
Reaction score
The code the procedure gives me says to enter it in the password reset field. I do not get that in the login box I get. Only the login boxes. No forgot password or password reset box.