Night and DeepStack camera settings

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there anything special I need to do to improve AI detection at night? I have pretty bad luck with my setup when it comes to night detection.

Bellow is screenshot to illustrates the situation that resulted in cancellation because nothing was found. In another instance I was recognized as a dog. I assume something must be wrong with my settings. I could not really find profile settings on my camera like some of you have. Like setting profile for a day and night.
That said I don't think the picture quality it terrible. I understand that the camera is pretty high but that should not be a big problem as during the day it detects person just fine. I have People and Person to confirm for night AI profile as I was not sure which one applies for dark model now.

Here is link to video from the camera

Any suggestions or tip on improving the situation?

Thank you. Charles

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nighttime tends to be problematic, especially B&W images.

Camera is a little high as you said.

You need to adjust brightness/contrast/etc. so that there is even more pronounced differences. To the camera, you kinda blend in with the hotspot that makes everything white and then a shirt with vertical lines that mimic the decking. Now I realize that it will happen with other clothing as well, but the point is the camera needs to see enough difference in order for Deepstack to recognize it.

Or try running in color if you have enough light.

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess I am out of luck without profiles on the camera. If I adjust things to the extreme at night it will look like s**t during the day. I will try to play with settings a little bit.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What exact camera?
2x GW Security - GW8555MIP
and
1x Camius BoltV

I bought them way back and I knew nothing back then about cameras.
User interface looks pretty much same for both so I am not sure if it is same manufacturer or just software that is used on both. I don't see profile option on any of them.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
How about a screen shot of the cameras tab of the console showing frame rates, bit rates, and key frame (iframe) rates.

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs , I haven't really messed with settings yet but it looks like I will have to find some compromise for both day and night. I have 3 Dauha cameras coming in soon to include in the mix.

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
first observation is to make the frame and iframe rates the same. Blue iris likes it that way for the best motion detection. 15F/ps is plenty for surveillance cameras, 20 and 30 is not "buying" anything in terms of functionality so I'd slow them down to 15F/ps.

I was asking for a screen shot from the Blue Iris console, not the cameras. In the console click on the lightning bolt/graph icon on the upper left. Then click on the cameras tab and post a screen shot of that preferably at night.

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh.. I misunderstood..
I kept highest settings for main stream because I like to mess with videos when I catch something nice..
Maybe it's not best for general surveillance. The screen shot is below the video links.

That's from old house:
Bears

Mountain Lion

Messing with a deer - cameras and home automation in action. LOL

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
From that screen shot of the camera stats some of them are running on the low side for a key frame (iframe) rate. I can't be sure which cameras they are in relation to your initial problem, but that's something else to address.

15F/ps or 30F/ps if the shutter speed is correct you'll still get good captures. Hollywood uses 24F/ps for a big screen movie.

Back to the original problem. It all comes down to contrast for DeepStack to be able to "see", especially at night. Try working with brightness and contrast as was suggested. I have a camera that is a real problem chld that way and I'm constantly tinkering with it trying to get better performance out of it in terms of DeepStack detection.