Newbie - WIFI cam that motion records to NAS?

Mosquito

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,
New to all this security camera stuff. Got a bit of computer experience and networking experience though.

I did a bit of searching but couldn't really find any clear answers. And wondered if you could be so kind to advise me on a simple solution for this.

Basically we want to monitor an entry in our church to see who's come and gone every now and then.

What I think would be simplest ( if such a thing exists) is a wifi camera (cat5 is ok as well) mounted up high on the wall continuously pointing at the entry that has motion sensor recording, the recordings are then stored on our ReadyNAS duo.(Which is just set up as a network HDD) When we want to see who came in last we just open the folder on the NAS and play the last file.

Live feed isn't really necessary, but a high quality image is preferred.

Is there something that works like this? It seems the simplest solution to just buy one piece of equipment (motion camera that stores on NAS).

Appreciate the feedback.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-Indoor-Camera-2-8mm/dp/B00JWCV9CU/

I would suggest running a wire for it, you need to power it somehow and its best to do it over the ethernet.. WiFi is unreliable for recording over, but you can put a SD card in it and save to local storage and review it later over wifi.. that works okay.

along with a motion sensor it has an alarm io, I'd hook up some magnetic door contacts up to it and have the door opening trigger recording.. would be more reliable than motion, as car lights and weather can set that off.. or use both together.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.