New Windows installation best practices for BI

Chuck C

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry if this exists already but I've been all through the wiki and searched the forums and couldn't find any defacto guides. I've run BI for years with a VM on a rather beefy machine and recently got a free to me Dell Optiplex that will do nicely to let me run on bare metal instead and repurpose the beefy machine for other stuff. I'm setting it up and just wonder what folks commonly do with various Windows 10 settings to trim out all the typical junk that comes along with the default installation. I will only use this machine for BI so don't need anything else running. Does anyone slim down their Windows by disabling things or do you just run with all the defaults?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the media creation tool to install a non bloatware windows.

De-register BI and then load up BI on the new computer.

Chuck C

n3wb
Reaction score
I did use the media creation tool and fresh installed, I don't necessarily mean like Dell bloatware or whatever, I mean shutting off unused Windows features/services/etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh OK. Then yeah start disabling stuff you don't need like indexing, scanners, etc. And hope you don't shut off something that is needed lol.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Took a look on the above "Update Medic Services" to use the registary to make the change.

"Open it and then navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WaaSMedicSvc path and then set its value data to 4. After that, the Windows Update Medic Service is disabled. "

However, did not find an entry that displayed "path". Only ImagePath. Suggestions?

Windows Update.PNG

Chuck C

n3wb
Reaction score
Took a look on the above "Update Medic Services" to use the registary to make the change.

"Open it and then navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WaaSMedicSvc path and then set its value data to 4. After that, the Windows Update Medic Service is disabled. "

However, did not find an entry that displayed "path". Only ImagePath. Suggestions?

View attachment 130473
I just looked this up, you change the Start key value to 4 then reboot to take effect. Just did it and verified it works.