New to the world of LPR ... need some help

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah none of those hiks you selected would work for that scenario. The one up to 32mm could get close, but like I said if 40 feet ends up being 70 feet because you need to flatten that 45 degree angle, then it wouldn't work.
Ah. Sounds like I'm better off going with the -Z12E. I like how I can just use a SD card and set it up through internet explorer instead of hooking it up to a nvr/ monitor and have a dedicated setup for it

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah one camera is fine that way....but as you realize with this cam how sucky your arlos and rings are LOL, you will be switching to better cameras and after about 3 or so, you will want an NVR or Blue Iris lol.

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah one camera is fine that way....but as you realize with this cam how sucky your arlos and rings are LOL, you will be switching to better cameras and after about 3 or so, you will want an NVR or Blue Iris lol.
Haha. I'm taking one step at a time for now, but hopefully in few weeks I'll master enough skill to be able to setup a nvr/ monitor system.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. I started with the big box store kit cameras as well and was like I need a LPR camera, so I have gone down this road lol.

For one camera the SD card route was fine. Then I realized with this camera how truly crappy my cameras were and by the time I got to 4 cameras, using DMSS and the SD card was not a quick and fast way to view video.

Reaction score
Make sure you read through the links that @wittaj posted at the beginning of this thread.

I would caution you on the utility of using only the SD card for LPR. If you only record to the SD card you risk not getting the info consistently. You will have to rely on the cam's motion detection to record a plate and will probably miss quite a number of plates. Those misses will probably be the ones you need the most. You need to record continuously, 24/7, to insure you get all plates. To do this you will need an NVR or a dedicated PC running software like BlueIris. If you don't, you may be happy in the beginning, but when you need the data, you will be very disappointed. So either do it right, or don't do it at all. Also, realize you need to power the cam, so you will need an POE switch or a power injector.

SIMPLY LPR.JPG

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure you read through the links that @wittaj posted at the beginning of this thread.

I would caution you on the utility of using only the SD card for LPR. If you only record to the SD card you risk not getting the info consistently. You will have to rely on the cam's motion detection to record a plate and will probably miss quite a number of plates. Those misses will probably be the ones you need the most. You need to record continuously, 24/7, to insure you get all plates. To do this you will need an NVR or a dedicated PC running software like BlueIris. If you don't, you may be happy in the beginning, but when you need the data, you will be very disappointed. So either do it right, or don't do it at all. Also, realize you need to power the cam, so you will need an POE switch or a power injector.

View attachment 131065
Yeah getting power won't be a problem. I'll essentially replace my arlo with this cam and I already have power running to it. I forgot I have a nvr sitting around that my brother gave me. Maybe I can just hook up the camera to it. That'd be nice but I see what you're trying to say

Reaction score
Yeah getting power won't be a problem. I'll essentially replace my arlo with this cam and I already have power running to it.
Realize that most IP cams are POE connections, but may have a separate 12V power connector. So you can power the cam by using a POE switch, a POE injector, or a 12V power supply that can handle 10-12watts with the proper connector. I don't know how and Arlo gets power, but I doubt it is the same as a POE cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Realize that most IP cams are POE connections, but may have a separate 12V power connector. So you can power the cam by using a POE switch, a POE injector, or a 12V power supply that can handle 10-12watts with the proper connector. I don't know how and Arlo gets power, but I doubt it is the same as a POE cam.
Arlo is not POE. It is battery powered baby LOL...with an option for a solar panel or 12V power connector.

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
Arlo is not POE. It is battery powered baby LOL...with an option for a solar panel or 12V power connector.
Yeah. That's what I have a 12v connector. I'm assuming I can use that to power Z12E. Is that now that case? Do I need to run separate eternet cable? Things are getting confusing again lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. That's what I have a 12v connector. I'm assuming I can use that to power Z12E. Is that now that case? Do I need to run separate eternet cable? Things are getting confusing again lol
You need to get the data back to something (unless you plan to take the SD card out whenever you need to look at video LOL) so you need an ethernet cable to somewhere.

And since you have to run the ethernet cable, might as well spend a few bucks to get a POE injector so that you can run power and data through one ethernet cable and not have to deal with the 12V power supply. Then just one cord!

Real cameras are hard-wired, none of that wifi crap LOL.

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to get the data back to something (unless you plan to take the SD card out whenever you need to look at video LOL) so you need an ethernet cable to somewhere.

And since you have to run the ethernet cable, might as well spend a few bucks to get a POE injector so that you can run power and data through one ethernet cable and not have to deal with the 12V power supply. Then just one cord!

Real cameras are hard-wired, none of that wifi crap LOL.
Got you. Sound like all I have to do is replace the 12v cable with an ethernet cable and get a POE injector which isn't expensive at all. Doesn't sound bad

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
I have used this one.

BV-Tech Gigabit Power Over Ethernet PoE+ Injector | 30W | 802.3 af/at | Plug & Play | up to 100 Meters (325 Feet) : Electronics (amazon.com)

Now if you use the NVR that you said you have, it may have POE ports, so the cam would get the power through that port. What is the brand and model number?
Thank you for the link. I have to dig up the NVR my brother gave me, but if I remember correctly it's from a Chinese manufacturer. I have to dig it up tomorrow though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.