New to the site, big vision, many questions..

Mr.B1282

n3wb
Reaction score
New member to the site, had a DVR setup at my apartment in the past. That was just a cheapo Ebay system with the cameras placed in the windows, overlooking where we used to park. I would say that my networking skills could be greatly improved since I haven't done anything with networking since 2004-05. The wife and I moved into our house 4 years ago, and this system has been in the planning stages for about 3 of those years. Right now, I have a layout that covers about 70% of the house covered, but many questions remain. If there are any questions you have, I'll try to answer them to help clarify my situation.

TLDR: My wife works from home. She needs every bit of internet our crappy provider overcharges us for. Can I run my 8+ ipcamera setup on a separate router (that's plugged into the same router/modem, she is plugged into?) without slowing her down? I have a little bit of flexibility in how I run my cables, but not much. TIA, `Mr.B.

I'll try to keep this short. I am looking to put up at least 7 cameras on my house. There are a handful of blind spots, most of which I feel will be covered with my layout, which will contain different types/styles of cameras. All the cameras will be hard wired to an IP POE switch in my attic. My vision, if it's possible, is to have a POE switch in the attic that powers all my cameras on the house. The switch would plug into a router, separate from my main network but plugged into the modem that handles all of our internet. (It's internet port would be connected to port 4 on the main router) The 16ch NVR would be in our living room using an existing cable that runs to the router in the wife's office. The switch, along with the NVR would be plugged into the second router, in her office because of availability, but I don't want her internet to suffer when I go to use the system throughout the day, whether it be recording or viewing live streams.

This is just one of the many other questions I have. Others would include what good PTZ auto tracking cameras are on the market and what NVRs would be ideal for a user friendly, thrown together hodge podge setup?
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Mr. B.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCamTalk!

There’s no reason for your cameras to interfere with your wife’s internet access, if you set it up properly. Your camera system should be be able to function even if your router is powered down. I’d suggest you do a little bit of research into the difference between network switches, routers, and access points. Then make sure your nvr can communicate with the cameras without the camera signals passing through the router’s built-in switch.

Hint: a router is used to communicate between separate networks. Your lan is a separate network from your ISP’s; thatks why you need a router connected to your modem. You don’t need a second router to make your system work.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
New member to the site, had a DVR setup at my apartment in the past. That was just a cheapo Ebay system with the cameras placed in the windows, overlooking where we used to park. I would say that my networking skills could be greatly improved since I haven't done anything with networking since 2004-05. The wife and I moved into our house 4 years ago, and this system has been in the planning stages for about 3 of those years. Right now, I have a layout that covers about 70% of the house covered, but many questions remain. If there are any questions you have, I'll try to answer them to help clarify my situation.

TLDR: My wife works from home. She needs every bit of internet our crappy provider overcharges us for. Can I run my 8+ ipcamera setup on a separate router (that's plugged into the same router/modem, she is plugged into?) without slowing her down? I have a little bit of flexibility in how I run my cables, but not much. TIA, `Mr.B.

I'll try to keep this short. I am looking to put up at least 7 cameras on my house. There are a handful of blind spots, most of which I feel will be covered with my layout, which will contain different types/styles of cameras. All the cameras will be hard wired to an IP POE switch in my attic. My vision, if it's possible, is to have a POE switch in the attic that powers all my cameras on the house. The switch would plug into a router, separate from my main network but plugged into the modem that handles all of our internet. (It's internet port would be connected to port 4 on the main router) The 16ch NVR would be in our living room using an existing cable that runs to the router in the wife's office. The switch, along with the NVR would be plugged into the second router, in her office because of availability, but I don't want her internet to suffer when I go to use the system throughout the day, whether it be recording or viewing live streams.

This is just one of the many other questions I have. Others would include what good PTZ auto tracking cameras are on the market and what NVRs would be ideal for a user friendly, thrown together hodge podge setup?
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Mr. B.
Hi Mr.B1282

Try to keep the camera traffic off the main router .. most of us go with a separate PoE switch or NVR with PoE ports

ktiz81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am new to this myself, but I have the internet disabled on all the cameras, they are only available on the LAN, and if you had a similar setup, it should not interfere with your wife’s internet speeds.

Side note, have you investigated starlink? My parents have never had the ability to have high speed but finally got starlink and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am new to this myself, but I have the internet disabled on all the cameras, they are only available on the LAN, and if you had a similar setup, it should not interfere with your wife’s internet speeds.

Side note, have you investigated starlink? My parents have never had the ability to have high speed but finally got starlink and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cameras wont interfere with the internet even if they were available over wan.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many find this thread to be a good start at learning camera basics such as chase sensor size not MP and get the proper focal length for the distance you are wanting to IDENTIFY.

It also includes the most commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night:

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

kd5mdk

n3wb
Reaction score
What climate are you in? Is your attic finished? I’d be cautious about putting putting a POE switch in an unfinished attic for both overheating and dust reasons.

What is your budget? Are you planning to do all the work yourself or have someone do parts for you?