New setup Intel and Nvidia mix - BAD??

pauly7300

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello experts, I think i'm doing something stupid and hoping you can provide expertise. My new setup is a refurb HP ProDesk 600 G2-SFF, Core i7-6700 (sorry for the amazon link but best I could find in a pinch). I bought it because it was the perfect form factor and had the I7-6700 proc from the recommended hardware list here. When it arrived I noticed the seller had left an Nvidia GeForce GT 730 card in one of the slots. Without putting much thought into it when I set it up on my desk, I installed W10 and let it do all the driver installs. I also plugged my monitor into the Nvidia card DVI port out of habit. The motherboard exposes a VGA and 2 Display Ports for the Intel adapter. So I set out to tune all the settings on my box. Here's a shot of my cams. It's currently only 2 cams. Hik DS-2CD2035FWD-I and a Reolink RLC-520. Excuse the Reolink, I bought it before I knew any better.

So, as it relates to the benefits of Intel Quick Sync or my setup in general, am I doing something wrong by driving my display through the Nvidia card while trying to use the benefits of Intel QS on the cams. I'm thinking almost certainly I am. I've just now disabled the Nvidia card and plugged switched to one of the display ports for my monitor. I assume this should be correct/better although I'm not sure what the actual benefit will be. Will it be a tangible difference I'll be able to see in the BI native interface or in the UI3 web experience? Will it allow me to scrub through videos more smoothly? Or is it only a processor decoding benefit? IE, the CPU will be free to handle other things? And unless i'm pushing the limits of the box by having a much larger number of cameras, are the benefits really that noticeable?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I'm glad to clarify or provide any additional info about my setup. Here are a couple of screen grabs to show what i'm working with. And btw, the Hik camera I have only supports h265+ on the main stream but h265 (non-plus) on the sub-stream. As mentioned, I've also now disabled the Nvidia card but these shots were before I disabled it.

cams.png

device_manager.png

GPU_intel.png

GPU_Nvidia.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is what I do. I have an older I7-4790 with 16 GB. Also a old cheap GT 710 video card. The mother board did not have an HDMI. So I added the GT710 for the display. All my cameras use Quicksync. The only down side of the video card is some more power usage.

GPU 0 is the intel
GPU 1 is the GT710.

Task_manager.jpg

pauly7300

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @SouthernYankee So is it accurate to say that QuickSync doesn't play a role in displaying the console to a monitor or to the UI3 web interface? Or at least in the case where a separate video card is used to display to a monitor?

I guess I still don't have a crisp understanding of just what QuickSync does for the overall solution.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick sync is use to encode and decode h.264/h.265 to a complete video frame. So the motion detection processing and preparation for display can occur. This removes a major amount for processing from the main Intel CPU.

I believe that quicksync is used to prepare the video frames before it is sent to UI3. @bp2008 should verify.

Reaction score
I have a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card in my BI PC. I have a single screen plugged into that card. I also use that card for HA along with the Intel Quick Sync.

I have 23 cams in BI. Eighteen are using the Nvidia card and the other five are using the Intel Quick Sync for HA.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried Intel QSV for encoding again, and it still doesn't work. The most frustrating thing is, other software like OBS can use this hardware acceleration just fine, so why can't Blue Iris?

I'm just glad Blue Iris supports sub streams now, so hardware acceleration is not as important as it once was.