New security system

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That system uses a lower voltage T processor...you can find business class i7-6700 systems from dell and hp for about the same...search for optiplex and elitedesk on this forum...
What resolution will your cameras be?

Ekki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi jatt. My opion is, to have a system that works both. Normal work and the security-part. As the system will be running all day long, it`s fine to have a harddrive especially for this things. In Germany the prices are the same to normal hd. (Don`t know why ???)
And, if you will do normal business too, it`s fine to have a gpu (nvidia for round about 125 Euro) that makes a two monitor running possible. On one security-viewing, the other to do normal work at the same time. So, I`m running an Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti for this. It does`nt need more than 70 Watts.
One (computer-monitor) and one television JTC-32``. If you buy an additional grafik-adapter look at the possibility it has. For instance vga (older monitor) and hdmi together.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the very small form factor, you won't be able to fit anything in there as far as storage. Ideally with this system you want a small SSD for the OS and BI and then a larger HDD for direct to disk recording. I have a SFF Dell OptiPlex and can barely fit the WD Purple HDD and SSD. This one you linked is much smaller then mine just by the looks.

Plus with 12 IP Cams you want a processor to handle that many. The i5 listed MIGHT be able to do it but you're gonna have very high CPU. Stick with an i7-6700 or similar like Fenderman suggested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-7040-Mini-Tower-Intel-6th-Gen-i7-6700-16GB-500GB-AMD-Radeon-R5-2GB-/232056857025?hash=item3607aaa1c1:g:GF0AAOSwd2xXQIQ8
for an example.

If you're patient and browse around you can find one on ebay for $450-600 with a multi-year warranty via a Dell reseller. Or check the HP Elitedesks.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.