New router - no port forwarding, no local access.

stevei

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
Sky have sent me a new router because the old one had a fault. I have setup port forwarding the same as the old one. Not only does this not work, but I can't access BI5 using it's local ip address.
Port forwarding works for my FTP and NAS device.

Any ideas?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Look at the static IP previously configured in BI to find out its subnet.
Log into the router's webGUI using it's LAN IP (gateway) and if it's a diffrent subnet than BI you can reconfigure it to be in the same subnet as the BI server and all your cameras.
IOW, re-confuring the router is easier, IMO, than re-configuring the BI server and all the cams.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like your BI PC has been assigned a different local IP address than you were using before. This is expected if you are not setting an IP address reservation for that PC's MAC address in you router.
^most likely.
you could also have in ip address conflict or the router has a client isolation feature enabled to keep devices on the LAN from talking to each other (most commonly enabled on guest networks).

stevei

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I think that the problem is that I can't access BI on my local network. I have had it set up and working fine with the old router. I know what the IP address and port is on the pc with BI running and enter on the remote pc on the same network but it won't cannect.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I think that the problem is that I can't access BI on my local network. I have had it set up and working fine with the old router. I know what the IP address and port is on the pc with BI running and enter on the remote pc on the same network but it won't cannect.
On the BI server:
  • Hit windows key + R key same time
  • in the window type "CMD" (no quotes) and hit <enter>
  • In the black command window type "ipconfig" and hit <enter>
  • What is the "IPv4" address ?
On the remote PC that's "on the same network":
  • Hit windows key + R key same time
  • in the window type "CMD" (no quotes) and hit <enter>
  • In the black command window type "ipconfig" and hit <enter>
  • What is the "IPv4" address ?
BTW, no need to redact local, private IP's (LAN), just don't publish the public (WAN) IP.
My BI server is 192.168.200.250, port 81. :cool:

Port forwarding need not be implemented for you to be able to access the BI server on your LAN from another PC on the same LAN but.....they must be on the same subnet.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should also try other methods of connecting to this PC.

Open a command prompt Win-x, i, and type ping ip.address.of.bipc and hit return see if you're able to ping it successfully.
In a windows explorer window on another PC if you enter \\ip.address.of.bipc does it connect? If not what error does it give?

The questions you need to resolve are:
-is what you think the IP address of the BI PC is correct?
-Are there other devices using the same IP? On your router, you likely need to either set up DHCP reservation to assign this PC a specific IP address or adjust the IP address range available to the DHCP server. For example you might start the DHCP server at x.x.x.30 and leaving address 2-29 for devices you want to assign statically.
-If the IP is correct and there's no conflict, can you connect to it via other protocols like ping?
-Is windows configured to think this network is a private or public network? Are you connected via ethernet or wifi? Is the windows firewall blocking the connection. SEE THIS THREAD
-On the Blue Iris PC directly (mouse, keyboard, monitor; sitting directly in front of it), can you access UI3 via 127.0.0.1:81/ui3.htm ? This would be a test of if UI3 is working.

What version of windows are you running? 10 Home, 10 Pro, 11 Home, or 11 Pro?

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
-Is windows configured to think this network is a private or public network? Are you connected via ethernet or wifi? Is the windows firewall blocking the connection. SEE THIS THREAD
Good thought! I'm betting this is part of the problem. It would not be surprising to hear that Windows detected the network changes and reset the connection to "Public" without any notification or warning (ie silently). This can certainly cause issues with network traffic because the Windows firewall blocks a lot more stuff on a "public" network vs a "private" network.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Just last week I had another customer with a Windows Update that switched the properties of his wireless adapter in his laptop to "public" and he lost ability to print to his wired network printer !
That made close to a dozen such similar network problems I've seen in the last 2 years from network properties switching private to public, usually from a Windows Update, at least in the ones I've seen.

Thanks, MS!

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Good thought! I'm betting this is part of the problem. It would not be surprising to hear that Windows detected the network changes and reset the connection to "Public" without any notification or warning (ie silently). This can certainly cause issues with network traffic because the Windows firewall blocks a lot more stuff on a "public" network vs a "private" network.
That happened to me when I got a new router. I able to login to a remote BI site via OpenVPN one time but the next time I tried I could not get in to that BI machine. Turns out the remote BI machine changed the network card from private to public. I was 500 miles away but luckily I was able to OpenVPN back in to that network to another computer on the same network then TeamViewer into the BI machine to fix the issue.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spot on guys. It had switched to public,many thanks.
If you follow the instructions in the thread I linked above, you can force unidentified networks to be private should this happen again.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If you follow the instructions in the thread I linked above, you can force unidentified networks to be private should this happen again.
Are these the instructions you were referring to? Or was it something else in that thread?

1707330640317.png