New member with Hikvision NVR problems.

Tony589

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for letting me join.

Sorry for a long post for my first one but this is doing my head in now and I need some help.

I have a Hikvision DS-7608ni-i2/8p which developed a fault where at random intervals it would freeze and then restart.
At first it would be about every 10 to 15 mins.
I had been updating my firmware over the years and wasn't sure if the reboots started with the newer versions.
I rolled back my firmware to 3497 but the problem still occurred.
PoE power is 17.2W with 102.8W remaining.
Fault still happens with HDD and all cameras disconnected.
Did factory default and Init HDD, still same.
I setup a Picolog data logger and monitored all the voltages from the PSU and they are stable.
Some capacitors on the board were swollen so I changed all the caps.
It has now become more stable and the fault is now predictable. It now will record all day, if left alone but when I log in, I can guarantee it will freeze after entering PW and hitting login for the first time.
After that it will restart and let me log in for maybe 20 to 30 mins before freezing again, I have managed to install all updates sequentially, up to 4.51, with no improvement to the fault.

Strangely, it also restarts EVERY morning at between 8:58 and 9:00AM, then is good all day, does this suggest anything?

Thanks for any advice or alternative suggestions for a replacement.

Tony.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - sounds like you have done all of the normal troubleshooting and even more by replacing swollen caps.

So either something else is shot in it that you cannot see, OR the NVR has been hacked.

We have seen many people experience the freeze/restart once hacked. The idea that you login and it happens could suggest that they are logged in just under the # of simultaneous connections and when you log in, it freezes.

The restart every morning could be somehow the auto maintain/daily reboot is set for that time, or an indication it has been hacked and that is when the activity is starting.

To rule out hacking, I would take a look at the NVR and router logs and use some other tools people here use to help sniff out these things. See if your router or modem allow you to see the data traffic and if your system is maxing out.

Tony589

n3wb
Reaction score
I hadn't even considered hacking. Also not thought about the logs. Just exporting today's logs, see if anything odd happens when restarting.

Many thanks,

Tony.

Tony589

n3wb
Reaction score
I saved the logs but couldn't see anything unusual around the restarts.

Disconnected the NVR from the network but still restarts at 8:58 each morning and still locks up on my first login, this presumably rules out hackers? Is there a setting for periodic restarts in the Hikvision?

Thanks,

Tony.