New member here. Hello all! Looking for advice.

iono11200

n3wb
Reaction score
New member here from the United States. I am looking to install a security camera system for my home and detached garage. Problem is, my garage is probably like 600 feet from my home and has no wifi coverage. It does however have power lines that run to it from my home. I had a local company quote me $2650 for 4 hikvision dome cameras and a 4 channel NVR. They spoke of building some type of a network where the internet signal runs over the existing power lines? Can anyone explain to me how this works? Was this a fair price? Can anyone recommend what type is a system would be best for me?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Powerline adapters can work. On the other hand I've never been lucky enough to have them work for me. I use Unbiquity Nano Station Loco instead. Dedicated, wireless, encrypted wireless link that will go a few kilometers and support multiple cameras.

Four dome cameras and a NVR for $2650 seems a little high to me. I'm not an NVR user and use Blue Iris instead. Much more flexible but that comes at the price of the learning curve needed to take advantage of all the features, and features are constantly being added. An NVR is nothing more than a dumb computer and you will be limited to the same brand for cameras. Blue Iris will work with just about any camera made if it's ONVIF compliant.

Standard welcome -

Welcome to the enchanted land of video surveillance lunatics, good guys, nut jobs and miscreants (yes, I fit into at least three categories). There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here and knowledge and experience are shared constantly. That's how I got to be a lunatic (already a nut job and miscreant).

Start out by looking in the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. There's a ton of very useful information in there and it needs to be viewed on a computer, not a phone or tablet. The Cliff Notes will be of particular interest although the camera models listed there are a generation old at this point. The best way to determine what kind of camera you need in each location and where each location should really be is to buy one varifocal camera first and set up a test stand for it that can be easily moved around. Test using that, viewing using the web interface of the camera, during the day and at night. Have someone walk around behaving like a miscreant and see if you can identify them. There is also information for choosing hardware and securing the system along with a whole bunch of other good stuff.

Don't chase megapixels unless you have a really BIG budget. Chase sensor size and bigger is better. To confuse you more sensor sizes are listed in fractions so do the basic math to be sure, 1/2.8 is bigger than 1/2.7 or 1/3. General rule of thumb is that a 4MP camera will easily outperform an 8MP camera when they both have the same sensor size. Reason being that there are twice as many pixels in the 8MP versus the 4MP. This results in only half the available light getting to each pixel in an 8MP that a pixel in the 4MP "sees".

A dedicated PC doesn't need to be either expensive to purchase or to run. A used business class machine can be had from eBay and various other sources. The advances made in Blue Iris make it easily possible to run a fairly large system on relatively inexpensive hardware which also makes power consumption low, as in under 50 watts in many cases. The biggest expenses turn out to be hard drives for storing video and a PoE switch to power the cameras and, of course, the cameras themselves.

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Avoid Reolink, Foscam, SV3C, Nest, and all the other consumer grade cameras. They all struggle mightily at night and never get anything useful on video. Here's a link to a whole thread debunking Reolink in particular.

Compiled by mat200 -

Avoid WiFi cameras, even doorbell cameras. WiFi is not designed for the constant, 24/7, load of video that a surveillance camera produces. At best, with two cameras on WiFi, they will still experience dropouts multiple times daily. Murphy's Law says that will happen at the worst possible moment.

Lens size, focal length, is another critical factor. Many people like the wide, sweeping, views of a 2.8mm lens but be aware that identification is problematic with a lens that wide. Watch this video to learn how to analyze each location for appropriate lens size and keep in mind that it may take two cameras to provide the coverage you need or desire. Another factor that effects view angles is the sensor size. Typically larger sensors will have a larger field of view in any given lens size.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

VPN Information Thread

This is a preconfigured pair of Nano Stations ready for use out of the box -
Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

Reminder to self - don't type when I'm this tired! Too many typos!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will want to get more than 4 cams believe us....

They are installing 4 2.8mm wide angle that will let you see a lot, but not be able to identify a lot...

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I spent a lotta money being a green horn, & trying to figure this all out on my own......I stumbled in here about a year and a half ago....They let me stay and bumble my way thru the learning curves...:) And there have been a lot.
When I finally did break down and buy a 5442 2.8mm it was a good investment. But nobody gets close enough to it ( most days) to facially pin them down. But I know all 100 or so fo my Condo residents, by their gait or stature or the color of their walker. or the model of their car. It's the people and vehicles I don't recognize that I'm trying to ID. So along came the 5241-z12 directly underneath the 5442. looking at the same view, but at a Shutter speed around 2000, catching Plates with IR on at night, and color during day. I'm getting about 99% of the plates. These 2 camera's have made a believer out of me in this product line. The rest of the camera's i have bought previous to this are largely inadequate for
Managing a Condo. But they do save my legs. I can turn on the irrigation system and toggle thru zones and see most of them thru the Cams instead of doing a bunch of running around the building chasing my tail. When Idiots show up to deliver an appliance I can go out and let them know where to stage thier vehicle. Same with Contractors. We have a rear parking lot with 40 spots. It has $2000 worth of brand spankin new LED "Dark Sky Compliant" lights {to aid the thieves with Sawz-alling off Converters-LOL} or... ( so the Spy satellites can see too!) LOL But seriously, we have had 2 stolen vehicles parked back there. we have had a Mail Theft crew park in our lots and use a mail carrier Key to steal incoming and outgoing mail. ( for about a month before we figured it out... Thanks Old Night Owl DVR.) They returned in March and found more Cams, and New Locks. We have been graffitti-ed, catalytic converter-ized, and Cheech and Chonged out back there, We get Door Checkers form time to time. We get vagrants walking the tracks and coming down to look in Cars....Time for some more 5442 type equipment. The Amcrest DVR ( analog) 4Mp cam doesnt see as well the 5442's.
So I want to get an Ip Nvr and get rid of the Analog system out in the remote garage. And hopefully setup another grouping of Overview cams + LPR. I only mean't to say hi......Apparently the ZzzQuil isn't working.....(yawn)

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ubiquiti Nano Stations worked for me... for a 400 foot-450 ft. run to a remote Garage.
I have a lot of Maintenance to do, so I bought a Pre-configured "pair" of Ubiquiti -Loco Nano 2.4Ghz to connect a DVR feed with a couple cameras across the Air, to my Network switch. It is working perfectly except on the Catalytic Converter nite. (edit) As I recall it turned out to be drive corruption at the worst possible time. During a theft) My first thought was "Do these ass holes have frequency jammers? HellifiKnow...."

This Amazon seller keeps cranking up his price on the "preconfigured" pair. I paid 1/2 that 1 year ago. So if you can do the networking you can save $$$

Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK PRE-CONFIGURED Nanostation Loco M2 AirMax CPE 2.4GHz
Sold by: Department H LLC
Return window closed on Jan 31, 2021
$126.95
Condition: New

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.