New install - events missing 1st 5 seconds

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
back to basics: have you tested/recrimped/swapped-out your ethernet runs out to the cameras?

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
back to basics: have you tested/recrimped/swapped-out your ethernet runs out to the cameras?
Good question, but in the course of my testing, the 3 cameras have been on 2 different switches, and probably 5 different cables, several of which are known good (unplugged from working devices like ip phones, printers etc.)

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, THIS is weird.

Wandering around the house tonight I thought I'd apply my same method of testing that I've been using on my new install at the office.
Walk into the frame of a camera, hold up fingers count up from 1.
All cameras behave as normal here at home, never miss motion, including pre-frames, like they have been doing for a long time. EXCEPT.... the camera in the garage.
It behaves exactly like the problem cameras at the office, step into the frame count fingers, check the recording, it starts at 6 fingers, not 1
And guess what type of camera it is?
Yup, my only in-use Top-201. My other 2 are in a drawer waiting for some cabling to get done.
OK so now I can blame the cameras, and thinking back, the odd time I've looked at a motion event from the 201 it hasn't always been 100%.
But, what would actually cause this? Watching the 201s live, they stream just fine, no cut-outs, but BI drops several seconds of motion.

Will confirm this tomorrow, I'll take 2 Hik 2032s to the office and test 'em in place of the 201s.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Will confirm this tomorrow, I'll take 2 Hik 2032s to the office and test 'em in place of the 201s.
OK just finished some more testing. Back on the VM, replaced 2 of the 3 201s with Hikvision 2032 bullets.
Same settings 720p 10fps iframes at 10. CPU is hovering around 16-22%
The hiks perform flawlessly. Captured videos contain all motion, including the 30 pre-frames.
Top-201 still drops the first 4-6 seconds of motion.

Have tried Blue Iris versions 4.3.2.1 4.3.2.3 and today reverted to 4.2.9.1 and then up to the latest 4.3.3.0 all behave the same.

Also 3 different flavors of Top-201 Original 3 I purchased a while ago. 2 new ones off of Amazon, and 3 new POE models from Ali-Express.
All have the problem.
The big question is, has my Garage 201 always been like that, and I didn't notice, or did an update introduce the issue, and I only noticed it yesterday when I started testing?

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm seeing something similar on a couple of Top-201 type cameras. I've never seen it on my other cameras, but all of my other cameras are set for continuous recording. I played around the the settings for the two TOP-201's and seem to have better results if I disable "Combine or cut" under the record tab. That makes me wonder if what I'm seeing is related to something that was mentioned in the 4.3.3 release notes...

• A bug which caused clip durations to be written incorrectly immediately following the end of a trigger event has been fixed. This may have caused the inability to seek to the newest events in a clip until the clip was closed.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought I'd update (actually I thought I DID update, maybe it was in another thread...)
I now have 2 Top-201s in service at work, and 3 at home. I may have read this in another thread, lot of stress lately has my memory playing tricks...
I found turning OFF direct to disk recording solves the issue, and the 201s behave perfectly. Not the best quality, but do the job for the locations that they're in.