New install advice sought

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Been looking and reading through the forums, getting to grips with the terminology etc... Also have read a lot of the reviews in Blue Iris, NVRs and IP cams but being a noob seek advice from the forum experts :)

Install is going to consist of 6 cameras and a doorbell, I've attached where I think they should go.

Front will have 2 cameras covering the cars and front door approach and a doorbell but have yet to decide on which doorbell. I do have a street lamp on the opposite side of the road to the left of my house so the driveway does have light in the evenings.

Side, I'm also going to be placing one camera in the top right pointing towards the back of the house so covering the roof of the side extension. This hardly gets any light so pretty dark.

Back, upstairs, one camera to the left covering the rear window and the roof of the back extension. On the back extension itself, one camera to the left covering the rear patio and windows and a camera to the right pointing towards the garden and rear garage. The back is fairly dark as is the garden but there is a street light on the side road so there is some light but not much.

From the pictures have I sort of covered everything? Things I'm unsure about are what type of cameras (megapixel) to get and their focal lengths (fixed or variable zoom)?

My thoughts on this, just to prove that I have had a think :) was to get for example the Duhua 2Mp starlight cameras to cover the roof space of the extension and then 4Mp cameras for the rest which all receive varying amounts of light?

I've also had a company in to give me a quote to do the install, they've quoted 4Mp Hikvision 2.8mm cameras all round.

Attachments

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
From personal experience, HikVision cameras are beautiful and really give a nice capture during the day, probably better than most cameras. What you want is a good capture during the night, when the zombies come out. The HikVision management software and interface can be complicated.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, so do you recommend going for Duhua cameras? The quote I did so that I could compare what am installed system would consist of and how much it would be to be honest.

The biggest thing I’m unsure about is how much protection any surface run cables need? If doing it myself I was going to go with external grade cat5e or cat6, the installed mentioned that any surface run cables would be enclosed in plastic conduit?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, so do you recommend going for Duhua cameras? The quote I did so that I could compare what am installed system would consist of and how much it would be to be honest.

The biggest thing I’m unsure about is how much protection any surface run cables need? If doing it myself I was going to go with external grade cat5e or cat6, the installed mentioned that any surface run cables would be enclosed in plastic conduit?
The brand does not dictate nighttime performance. Its the sensor as well as some other factors. Both dahua and hikvision have cameras that provide good night vision and cameras that are terrible at night. See wiki.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. they've quoted 4Mp Hikvision 2.8mm cameras all round.
HI @IAmATeaf

I suspect this camera may not be the best due to "4MP" sensors often not impressing members here, and the 2.8mm lens providing a very wide FOV
"4Mp Hikvision 2.8mm"

Also, I suspect some of your mount point are far too high for ID purposes.

For the front door I would consider the dual lens Dahua OEM 2MP starlight camera - as in the USA package delivery services often drop packages at the foot of the door, and you would want to keep an eye on that space as well as anyone at the door.

Right now I would recommend taking the time to TEST your mount placement ideas and actually see what sort of view they would provide you.

Also, in the USA at least - "door checkers" at night are a big threat to parked cars, and thus I like to have 2 cameras mounted low enough to maximize a chance of a good id image. Remember the thieves will often wear hoodies and caps - so you need a low angle to get a good facial image.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, I was trying to mount them at a height where they were low but not low enough that you can reach the camera. I suppose I could mount the camera at the front on the left lower but the one on the right, that is the lowest it can go.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, I was trying to mount them at a height where they were low but not low enough that you can reach the camera. I suppose I could mount the camera at the front on the left lower but the one on the right, that is the lowest it can go.
If you use a turret style camera they are not as easy to be abused as a bullet style.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
And if you mount them low enough where someone would be able to mess with the cameras, you would be able to get a good ID of the person. In my opinion, I don't think people feel the need to mess with a camera that is low and with in reach. I don't see to many people beating up, spray painting, or stealing doorbell cams. When I installed our ring for the wife, I thought, someone is gonna steal this thing one day rather than steal our packages.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this: Cliff Notes
Mounted higher than 8ft, it makes it real hard to ID faces. Lower the better.
2.8mm lens is almost worthless out doors, unless the person of interest is standing within 10-12' for the camera.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Stick with the 2mp, don't go for the high megapixel hype.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Study this: Cliff Notes
Mounted higher than 8ft, it makes it real hard to ID faces. Lower the better.
2.8mm lens is almost worthless out doors, unless the person of interest is standing within 10-12' for the camera.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Stick with the 2mp, don't go for the high megapixel hype.
It does very much sound like the Duhua starlight 2Mp cam with zoom should be all I need rather than 2 of these and 4 higher Mp cameras?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
You really have to assess your exact requirements at each location. The varifocal or zoom lenses are handy because you can adjust the field of view to suit at each location.

But there are really two purposes for camera locations. A wide view will show what happened as an overview, but you probably cannot identify faces or make out license plates, etc. The overview is important, of course, but won't do everything you need.

So the other purpose is for identification. And that requires that the field of view is tight enough to capture sufficient detail. And that means that you may need a lot more cameras than you at first thought.

As you play with the first iteration of your system, you will most likely realize that you need more cameras. So think about running more cables than you think you're going to need, and get a switch with a lot more channels than you think you need, etc. That way you can add additional cameras as you find the need.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really have to assess your exact requirements at each location. The varifocal or zoom lenses are handy because you can adjust the field of view to suit at each location.

But there are really two purposes for camera locations. A wide view will show what happened as an overview, but you probably cannot identify faces or make out license plates, etc. The overview is important, of course, but won't do everything you need.

So the other purpose is for identification. And that requires that the field of view is tight enough to capture sufficient detail. And that means that you may need a lot more cameras than you at first thought.

As you play with the first iteration of your system, you will most likely realize that you need more cameras. So think about running more cables than you think you're going to need, and get a switch with a lot more channels than you think you need, etc. That way you can add additional cameras as you find the need.
Very common mistake, trying to do too much with too few cams.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Very common mistake, trying to do too much with too few cams.
Exactly.

And a lot of us do that in the begining. You see camera systems for sale, and start thinking about it, and envision a quick, easy installation of an all-in-one kit. After all, that's what you naturally expect when you see these security camera systems for sale at the big box stores.

But I suspect that most people end up realizing that they need more cameras only after they've got a system installed and running when they see the actual footage that their system is giving them.

Then you realize that you need a much bigger switch, and more wire, and more cameras. :)

I, too, need to add a lot more cameras! These systems are often ongoing projects, and to be realistic, should usually be viewed as such from the start.