New guy - any recommendations?

Reaction score
Hi there. Typical new guy looking for help. Looking for the big box store package convenience (lorex/swann concept) but avoiding the big box store at all costs. Looking for suggestions similar to box store concept of Swann™ 4-channel NVR with 1TB HDD and 2 720p Camera Kit bundle concept. Its relatively easy deployment is the appeal tbh. Looking to start with two cameras (front door and 80 foot driveway), nvr, poe etc. Looking for remote connectivity, expandability for future and and email alert functionality. I read a lot about hikvision so I'm leaning in that direction. There are just so many options out there its mind boggling. Trying to do for my elderly parents who've recently had breakin. So I guess the advice I'm asking for is if you were to create your own package needing cameras and NVR with above features what would you bundle? Oh and just to make complicated they don't have a lot of money so trying to stay in 400-500 range.

Also great site and forum...ive been unofficially lurking for weeks. I'm sure my question has been asked over and over but I'm also sure there are lots of other lurkers wondering the same.
Buck

Reaction score
ugh and I posted in wrong area... meant to post in camera section :). way to go new guy (me).

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We all make the mistake. Posting photos of the areas you want to cover can help us out a bunch. As far as buying equipment you have two main options that offer full warranty and support. You have Nelly's or milkisbad from LTS.

dalepa

Reaction score
Welcome, and your right, many options out there... Starting small is a good idea... A 2.8mm over the front door and 1-2 4mm cams over the garage is a good start. The quality of 720p cams is poor, I would stay away from them.

Running POE cables can be challenging, and buying tools can sometime cost more than the cams.

See my recommendations in the below link...

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have found that 2MP cams give me the best balance between day / night image satisfaction.

Reaction score
ok thanks all. The parents ended up a no go but now I've got the camera bug. Will start small and will expand in future plus some other locations (for in-laws). Still undecided on bi, NVR, Nas etc. I've included house picture. I will stick with one brand for now (lts) and go with poe. Driveway is primary, then front door then sidedoor by garage. trying to stay in 100-150 per cam range (Canadian exchange rates are a killer). Any specific LTS suggestions? Much appreciated.
house front.png

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
ok thanks all. The parents ended up a no go but now I've got the camera bug. Will start small and will expand in future plus some other locations (for in-laws). Still undecided on bi, NVR, Nas etc. I've included house picture. I will stick with one brand for now (lts) and go with poe. Driveway is primary, then front door then sidedoor by garage. trying to stay in 100-150 per cam range (Canadian exchange rates are a killer). Any specific LTS suggestions? Much appreciated.
View attachment 7721
Sounds like what I've gone through a while back... Here are my 2 cents:

1. NVR/BI/NAS. I've tried all options. Hikvision NVR with POE is my choice. It's more cost effective, efficient and easy to maintain, although in terms of some features it can't compete with BI. NAS camera licensing is too much $$, $50+ per cam, no thank you.
2. Initially I was sticking with one brand (Hikvision (aka LTS) which has its benefits, but if you want better features image quality for the price there are now better options (although limited or no support if you care about that)
3. For your large driveway, if it's not lighted very well Hikvisions/LTS you are considering will not give you great night time performance. I've initially used Hikvision 3MP turret then newer 4MP dome and both had crappy night image even with outdoor lightning. I've solved this issue with Huisun PTZ and Longse S500
4. Finally, even if you have different brands whether you use NVR or BI there is no issue compatibility if they support ONVIF.