New Graphics card advice

Tro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there,

My I5-3470 is sitting there in my garage humming away nicely at approx 20% - 25% usage

I have a projector in my garage and wish to utilize the PC to watch netflix

Currently the on-board doesn't have HDMI out, which is what I need

My question is, would I need to be careful what I install? to not mess with BI?

Tro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My I5-3470 is sitting there in my garage humming away nicely at approx 20% - 25% usage

I have a projector in my garage and wish to utilize the PC to watch netflix

Currently the on-board doesn't have HDMI out, which is what I need

My question is, would I need to be careful what I install? to not mess with BI?

Tro
Blue iris utilizes the intel HD integrated graphics...adding another card may cause you to loose that benefit although some have run intel hd in conjunction with nvidia cards. You would also increase the power consumption on a system that is on 24/7. Most importantly any pc used for VMS should be dedicated to the task. Dont screw with it.
Also, you system likely has display port out, if that is the case, you can simply use a displayport to hdmi adapter.

Reactions: Tro

Tro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue iris utilizes the intel HD integrated graphics...adding another card may cause you to loose that benefit although some have run intel hd in conjunction with nvidia cards. You would also increase the power consumption on a system that is on 24/7. Most importantly any pc used for VMS should be dedicated to the task. Dont screw with it.
Also, you system likely has display port out, if that is the case, you can simply use a displayport to hdmi adapter.
OK,

Its not a VMS, and I will only watch the odd movie 1 - 2 times a month, the projector set-up is purely for sports through Foxtel IQ unit

I checked, I do have a display port! assuming this will also give me adequate resolution (at least 1080p?)

so this would work?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-8M-Displayport-DP-To-HDMI-Cable-Cord-Male-To-Male-Full-HD-1080P-HDTV-PC-Laptop-/121762384946?hash=item1c599a8c32:g:ZXoAAOSwQTVV-o3B

If so, thanks very much!!
saved me some $!

Tro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK,

Its not a VMS, and I will only watch the odd movie 1 - 2 times a month, the projector set-up is purely for sports through Foxtel IQ unit

I checked, I do have a display port! assuming this will also give me adequate resolution (at least 1080p?)

so this would work?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-8M-Displayport-DP-To-HDMI-Cable-Cord-Male-To-Male-Full-HD-1080P-HDTV-PC-Laptop-/121762384946?hash=item1c599a8c32:g:ZXoAAOSwQTVV-o3B

If so, thanks very much!!
saved me some $!

Tro
Blue iris is the VMS. That cable will work though I would buy from a reputable source not some ebay seller.

Reactions: Tro