New cameras. Do I need to change anything in BI?

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I was all set up with 2 Foscam outdoor cameras. I also purchased the full version of BI and the app for my android phone. After a week of struggling to get everything set up and working, I had everything working flawlessly. I was able to view my cameras everywhere. At home on laptops, away from home on laptops, on my BI app. both home and away. I was very happy with it all............except for the cameras! They were very poor quality and after some suggestions from people on here the Foscams are on their way back to Amazon and I have 2 Hikvision domes arriving Thursday. (Tomorrow).

Now for my question..........I am confused about this part because honestly, I went through so much to get everything working to begin with I don't remember all the steps involved anymore! (I do know I had to bridge my modem to my router before anything worked!) Will I have to reset any IPs, numbers, ect in BI again to get everything working with these 2 new cameras? Or do I just install them and the software per the instructions for those particular cameras and BI will just pick them up if the LAN, port 81, and External IP are still the same? Will I be able to access them from my previous saved links? (external IP links I used before). (These will be direct connected to the router via POE. The other 2 were wireless wi-fi) Basically will these be install, plug in, and off we go?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You first need to download the SADP tool from hikvisions website (it should also be on the included disk) this will allow you to change the cameras ip address from the default 192.0.0.64 to one that is in your routers subnet...so if your router is 192.168.1.1 then the camera could be something like 192.168.1.50....you dont need to change the ports and you dont need to deal with external ip's except for blue iris itself if you want remote viewing...
You will need to set your cameras internal ip addresses to static or reserve that ip address in your routers dhcp reservation option...
the default user name is admin and the default password is 12345

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea, I understand that I will need to install the SADP tool and give the cameras their own ip addresses,etc. I guess I didn't explain my question well enough. Just wondering if everything else is set to go as far as BI and the way it is/was set up for the other 2 cameras. Can I give these 2 cameras the same ip addresses my other 2 had since those Ips were already all set?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, I understand that I will need to install the SADP tool and give the cameras their own ip addresses,etc. I guess I didn't explain my question well enough. Just wondering if everything else is set to go as far as BI and the way it is/was set up for the other 2 cameras. Can I give these 2 cameras the same ip addresses my other 2 had since those Ips were already all set?
yes you can...but if you reserved the old ip addresses in your router based on the old cameras unique mac addresses then you will need to delete the reservation or your router will not allow the new cameras to connect...its no big deal to give them new ip address..its a matter of changing a number or two.