New Camera Setup

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I just received my order from Andy with the following hardware, and I am just wondering if there are any quick setup instructions? I plugged in the NVR, and the GUI is a lot more feature packed than the Lorex system that I had before. Can it all be done through the NVR GUI? Should I plug into each camera individually first? Should I be using the browser interface? Config tool? I am just wondering whether I need the cameras configured before I mount them.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I just need to know where to start.

Hardware
NVR5216-16P-4KS2
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (Qty. 10)
NVR5216-16P-4KS2 (Qty. 1)

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd start researching and reading here:

NVR - Dahua Wiki

Lots more info within that site as well. Most of your questions can be answered there.

Basic setup can be done through the NVR, but not all the camera features are available. You will need to use a web interface for the rest.

I would do a basic setup before mounting the cameras using a web interface. Mount the cameras and finish the setup with the web interface. After all settings are administered, then proceed to plug the cameras in to the NVR. The NVR will re-assign IP addresses to the cams and you will not be able to access all the features from the NVR GUI once they are using the NVR POE ports and internal switch.

The Config tool would be useful for assigning non conflicting IP addresses from the defaults, and establishing logins and passwords.

I do like your style of jumping in head first with 10 cams and a 16 port POE NVR, but there is a steep learning curve with these enterprise solutions with zero instructions. Many hours of reading and research ahead of you. We are here to help.

SD

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition, there is some basic information on setup here: IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-03.docx

I also have a Dahua setup document that I never finished or published, but it is just a collection of info from the Wiki along with some specific setting guidance I collected from this forum. That said a lot of the settings can be left at default until you get your feet wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both so much for this excellent information.

@giomania, I totally forgot about this document. I had seen it a little bit back. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :)

Quick question, will I need anything from the disks that came either with the NVR or the cameras?

Thanks again,

Mike

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quick question, will I need anything from the disks that came either with the NVR or the cameras?

Thanks again,

Mike
I've never needed any of them. I'm not even sure what's on them? The camera template is handy though for mounting. You'll need the waterproof jacket from the camera box. Make sure you put it on BEFORE you terminate the cable....... ;).

How much storage did you go with for 10 cameras?

SD

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@parallon
Installing a camera system can be done in a few steps:
1. Determine your goal for the system: what areas you want to monitor and when (day/night/time) you want to monitor them. More often than not, there would be no interesting activities going on in the monitored areas, so you also want to refine how you want your cameras triggered to start recordings. But that would be later in your camera/nvr configurations. You can use ipvm.com as a tool to plan for your monitored areas.
2. Once you have your goal defined, obtain the approximate set of cameras and NVR that would meet your need. I see that you already acquired your set of equipment, that is quite OK., If that meets your goal, great, you've got your homework done nicely. If it doesn't, that's OK too, you can always get more cameras or put aside one for spare if that is within your budget.
3. Your NVR comes with no HDD, so you have to add one and chances are that you will need a capacity planning for that. Here are a couple of sites that you can use to estimate storage consumption for your system.
NVR Storage Calculator | EZWatch
Configuration Calculator | Exacq from Tyco Security Products
upload_2018-3-8_17-22-21.png
They are not perfect, but it's a start.
4. Initial setup of the NVR: add your HDDs, connect it to a monitor or a TV, connect your mouse, plug it it, turn it on. These are obvious things you should do. Follow NVR - Dahua Wiki mentioned by @Solar Deity above for references. Disregard Dahua Easy4IP setup as it doesn't work, even if it does, it may cause you more troubles than benefits.
5. Setup your first cam using a 6ft cat5e/cat6 cable while the cam sits next to your NVR. If it doesn't work here, it won't work anywhere else. One cam at a time, test them all out and make sure they all work. You don't have to keep them all connected to your NVR. After this initial setup of all the cams, they will be auto-recognized by the same NVR the next time you connect them to it.
6. Use a long cat5e cable, test run your cams at your predetermined locations to see if your plan works out the way you want it in step1. Note that if you need to run cat5e cable in the walls, do this first to make sure they meet your need before you brake a hole in your wall or hire someone to do it. Once you satisfy with your locations & the coverage of your cams, that's when you reliaze if you need more, or less cams. If you've done a good job in step1, you may find your coverage very close to what you expect it.
7. Run cables, mount the cams, fine tune the angle of recording by zooming and rotating the cams.
8. Refine your recording with bitrates, time of the day, days of the week, and so on.
9. Continue to fine tune your system according to your need. You may find yourself climbing up and down a ladder a few more times to adjust your cams' angles.
10. Ask for help when you need it, yes?

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am going with (2) 6TB drives. I am assuming that I can just run them in a JBOD configuration with this NVR?

Mike
That should be plenty. Yes, the NVR will handle the setup of the two disks, and treat them as JBOD. There are some more advanced features as well when running two or more disks. You can assign individual cams to each disk if you like.

For reference, I have (2x) 4TB drives, storing 6 cams. All are running H.265 compression at 15 FPS, a 4096 CBR and G.711A - 16k audio. I get 30 days of history, which is a hair overkill, but will allow future expansion.

SD

Last edited:

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's good to know that I will have plenty. So, do you recommend 24 hour recording, or just on trigger? If you do the trigger only, how would it compensate for "pre-trigger" recording of say 5 or 10 seconds?

Thanks for all your input.

Mike

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's good to know that I will have plenty. So, do you recommend 24 hour recording, or just on trigger? If you do the trigger only, how would it compensate for "pre-trigger" recording of say 5 or 10 seconds?

Thanks for all your input.

Mike
You have enough space to record 24/7 easily. I'd say all 10 cams and 12 TB would be 35-40 days of history. Scalable to more or less if you like, by increasing or decreasing the FPS, and bit rates. For customer installs, I shoot for 10-14 days of history. That's about all you need if anything happens. 15 frames per second is enough for smooth playback/viewing. You have plenty of hard drive(s), and could run 20-30 FPS for each camera, and still have 21-28 days of history.

SD