New Apple M1 CPU's

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone running any new Apple systems with the new M1 chip they developed?

I just upgraded from my old Mid-2014 MacBook Pro with an i7 to the new 2020 system with the Apple M1 CPU

So far, wow. I've been using it on battery for 4 hours today, and I'm on 95% battery life... I don't even know how this is possible. Its super fast, I can throw together a montage of BI clips where people throw beer bottles out my house and transcode it quicker than on my desktop with an AMD 3700X

They hit a home run with these systems.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't run macs, but yeah, I hear it is an amazingly powerful and efficient chip.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder how many people are going to switch to Mac's over this. This system with the education discount (Which they don't validate...) was $1,379.00 with 16GB of RAM, and they will give you free 12 month financing on the Apple Credit card AND give you 3% cashback (Which makes financing it a no brainer)

My work Dell XPS13 which was around $2000 completely sucks compared to this

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. People were worried about legacy app compatibility with the M1, but it sounds like they handled that really well so far.

Apple does try really hard to make a great user experience. Their touchpads in particular have been miles ahead of every other laptop I've used. If a computer has a shitty input device, it is a shitty thing to use. Period.

What don't you like about the XPS 13? And also how old is it? I think Dell has been reusing that name for a while now. I was under the impression it was one of the better work laptops for Windows.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the MacBook Pro M1. I’m using my old 27” iMac as a monitor.
I posted in another thread the SmartPSS doesn’t work. However, I can run the Lorex Cloud iPad app, which at least lets me pop up a grid view of my cameras.
The laptop runs nice and most applications work on it, either native or Rosetta. I had to purchase a $250 dock because the thing only comes with two ports.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
So far I've had 1 app that prompted me It was going to use Rosetta 2 for emulation, and I can't tell. it "just works" so to speak. I think Apple is being ruthless in forcing developers to make their applications compatible

Agreed, the touchpads is what moved me over to Apple. I used to hate them, and then I tried to buy a laptop with a good touchpad, and it didn't exist.

The XPS13 has endless issues, its the XPS13 9300 with the 10th Gen i7 and QHD screen, 32GB RAM and 1TB NVMe SSD

• The battery life is a complete joke unless you let it throttle itself to death and turn the screen brightness to the lowest possible. Real world usage I'm lucky to see 3 hours, same usage on the MPB is around 20 hours
    [*]
    The touchpad has these Windows drivers which makes things better, but you cant cant configure three fingler click to do a middle click and have it pass through to RDP. Since I work in IT, a ton of my job is in RDP, and this is a real pain
  • The audio driver adds this weird echo sound to the speakers AND bluetooth for some kind of weird feature, which you can't disable! The only solution is to back down to a super old driver, which then reverts back every time you do updates. Why Dell, why????
  • The screen has firmware built in that can't be changed that reduces the contrast to save power when on battery. So it ends up looking like trash every time you pull the power cord out
  • The right hand side USB-C has issues, so when I use a dock on the right port, it fails to connect properly around 80% of the time. there is a super long forum thread about this on the Dell site, and the answer is that the trace on the board is too long, and there is no fix
  • The thermals suck, I can be sitting there doing literally nothing and the fans will be spun up. For the CPU it has in, the thermal solution is 100% not okay
  • The wireless driver forces power savings when on battery which you can't change, and you end up with more latency somehow, I have no idea how they managed it, but they did. So sometimes I'll be over RDP and the whole thing just sucks

God damn I'm angry just thinking about using it! On paper its great, but in reality, it sucks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What don't you like about the XPS 13? And also how old is it? I think Dell has been reusing that name for a while now. I was under the impression it was one of the better work laptops for Windows.
Dell lost me after my xps 15 (i think it was a 2016 model). Sometime in 2019 I started having issues depressing the touchpad, I would have to press it hard sometimes, other times it would work fine. I though I would need to simply swap the touchpad. Turns out, the battery was swelling and pressing up on the pad. Dell knew about this defect and didn't notify me. Moreover when I called support, they didnt even have OEM replacement batteries to sell. This was a known issue with lots of folks complaining online. What bothers me most is that Dell put the crown jewels in harms way should the battery explode on my lap.

Every manufacture has these issues including apple. Its boils down to how they handle it at the end.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems like the designers of the XPS line have all the right ideas, and the penny pinchers and support ruin the entire thing

On paper, they look like they should be some of the best systems

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Dell lost me after my xps 15 (i think it was a 2016 model). Sometime in 2019 I started having issues depressing the touchpad, I would have to press it hard sometimes, other times it would work fine. I though I would need to simply swap the touchpad. Turns out, the battery was swelling and pressing up on the pad. Dell knew about this defect and didn't notify me. Moreover when I called support, they didnt even have OEM replacement batteries to sell. This was a known issue with lots of folks complaining online. What bothers me most is that Dell put the crown jewels in harms way should the battery explode on my lap.

Every manufacture has these issues including apple. Its boils down to how they handle it at the end.
That sounds about right for dell after watching Linus Tech Tips' latest secret shopper series. Dell's support (and sales) competency was just appalling.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Apple is being ruthless in forcing developers to make their applications compatible
Yeah, I know an iOS app developer and he complains regularly about the changes and breakages which happen with every major OS update. Apple gets away with it because they are Apple.

That is quite a list of XPS 13 flaws. Yikes!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder how many people are going to switch to Mac's over this. This system with the education discount (Which they don't validate...) was $1,379.00 with 16GB of RAM, and they will give you free 12 month financing on the Apple Credit card AND give you 3% cashback (Which makes financing it a no brainer)

My work Dell XPS13 which was around $2000 completely sucks compared to this
Hi @IReallyLikePizza2

Apple just is a big pita imho for repair and upgrades...

Louis Rossman has pointed out the numerous problems for Apple product owners in terms of right to repair issues.

Linus Tech Tips and Louis do an excellent set of videos covering the FUBAR issues Apple purposely does to it's customers.

Due to this, I recommend people purchase products that can be repaired readily - and thus recommend they avoid Apple products in general.
( seriously they came out with the Mac mini's which I can not upgrade the RAM... wft.. )

Hopefully all Apple Fans push back, as imho what Apple Fans are accepting now from Apple's abusive policies is really screwing Americans and others in terms of their ownership rights.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Speaking of M1 CPU's, I picked a M1 Mac Mini myself and have been astonished by how cool it is to the touch despite running apps like Adobe Premiere. Its shockingly good with even just 8GB of RAM (okay for 1080p editing).

However, I hear AMD Ryzen CPU's are also great. Intel has not been power efficient these days. :( There is also a lot marketing nonsense. Purchased a laptop with Intel 11th gen CPU, CPU is supposed to have a base clock speed of 2.8GHz but the manufacturer decided to clock it at 1.69GHz and there is no way around that. Very deceiving approach to consumers