New Amcrest AD410 doorbell Cam Review

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ELI5, Please?

I am wanting to add a doorbell cam to my BI network and have been reading all that I can on the subject and considering the Reolink due to its PoE. Someone explain to me how to integrate this (or any) wifi device into my BI network while at the same time keeping the wifi device 'off' of the internet?
My set up is a dedicated BI PC with dual NICs and the cam network is all wired to one NIC and through four PoE switches and is isolated by ip from the web. The second NIC connects (wired) to my wifi router which is, of course connected to the inter-everything world via Fiber and its wifi signals connect dozens of my other widgets to the world.
I don't quite grasp how to provide the same isolation (OK, probably illusion of isolation) that the cam network enjoys when integrating the wifi device(?)

Last edited:

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, one easy way to prevent the camera from reaching outside your LAN is to give it a static IP (instead of using DHCP - and you can certainly do this as I have the Reolink POE doorbell and have done this) and do not put in a gateway, or put in a fake IP for your gateway (not the IP of your router). This way it cannot go outside your local LAN/subnet as it won't know how to find a path (route) outside it due to a lack of a gateway. I would say, this would be the easiest way to do it, short of messing with firewall rules/blocking, etc.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of the reasons I have been considering the ReoLink is precisely because it's PoE and I could go directly to the same switches on the "isolated" cam network which would be straightforward.... but using a wifi unit such as this AD410 is where it becomes necessary to connect it to the wifi and that seems fraught with new peril.

But it may be that I am simply placing too much import on the physical devices. Maybe the wifi router is equally 'isolated' when I give the doorbell an ip on my cams' network?
(it just feels wrong... like i'm violating the integrity of the system... like port forwarding )

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also have this AD410 doorbell and notice it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting from wifi every few minutes. It has great signal strength as the router is just a few feet away. Sometimes it goes 45-50 minutes without dropping and other times only a few minutes.
It behaves the same on 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I have replaced the transformer with a 16v 30va and it still does the same thing.

Other devices connected to my RT-AC86U router stay connected for hours. When the doorbell disconnects, it's a fast thing. The only reason I noticed is because one time I happen to see the seconds on the time stamp in blue iris just stop for a few moments, then continue. At first I thought it might be something with Blue Iris, so that seemed odd to me. So I started keeping track on the router's wireless log and I can see this doorbell drops connection every few minutes.

I have disabled internet access on this camera via the router. So I tried giving it access to see if that made a difference, but no difference at all and it continues to drop connection. There is no interference on this because my neighbors are very far away (and not many connections in the area) and it also does it on the 5ghz band. I have also tried to have this doorbell connected by itself on the router with nothing else connected...same deal. I have seen others on the internet complain about this dropping connection as well.

I have noticed however, it takes longer to drop connection when setting it using rtsp protocol instead of http. Not sure if that has anything to do with it (probably not)..but that's something i've noticed. It stays connected for longer periods of time on rtsp.
I am thinking of replacing it with the Reolink 5MP one to see it's any better.

Last edited: