Networking Issue

thorholt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am having some issues with a wired access point, Here it goes:
My main router is in my house and is hooked to Fiber internet, I have 1 cat 5 cable that goes out to my garage and into a gigabyte POE switch, plugged into that switch I have 3 IP cams and a 4th cable runs out to my shop where I have a old WRT54g router configured to be a access point and I have a China NVR plugged into it and I use the wireless part of the access point for internet with phones etc.
The problem I am having is that I lose the Access point in the shop every few hours, Everything else works perfect before the access point even during the outage of the AP, It will come back online on its own usually in a couple hours or so,
I have tried several different config's of the AP, and currently have it set with a static ip address and reserved that address in my main router (Net Gear) but it is still locking up.
My question is that, Is it ok to have a switch between the main router and the AP? I have tried 2 routers configured to AP's and they both have acted the same. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to add that I am accessing all this stuff remotely as I am 50 miles away from it.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The switch is fine. Are the other routers also cheap linksys models? May not hurt to get a better AP like Ubiquiti.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When a cheap router / access point goes down so does the built in switch which is pretty infuriating. Old/Cheap wifi routers can be quite limiting for your bandwidth, the ports may link at 100mbps but throughput on a real old one can be as low as 20mbps.