Networking help

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I had a power surge which took out my comcast modem. I was using their arris model in bride mode. thus allowing me to use my Asus rt n-66u router to my 8port switch,to a linksys wrt54gs as a access point , to ip cameras, then out to another linksys .network is all hardwired. So far three different modems from them no bride mode yet. Weeks gone by and many phone calls later.... . So my IP camera network is down been waiting to get the bridge mode working . Comcast uses 10.0.0.0 . my problem is Everything is set to 192.168.1.xxx . Looking for a solution. I am using there newer blast modem a cisco Model dcp3939 they say its far superior to the router i am using . Is this true? Today after 1hour and 58 mins i was disconnect after multiple transfers.. the last guy mentioned to change the modem ip to 192.168.1.xxx to save me the headache of changing all the ip's on network. Mapped drives,ip camera's. etc.. So the question is do i just use there stuff and change everything, retire the new Asus router i just bought?, Am I just making this to complicated? Missing something?

update they put me in DMZ mode?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The cisco 3939 is a decent unit. It will probably not have as good a wifi range as the antennas are internal (unless they gave you a model with external antennas which the spec sheet says is available).
Do not use DMZ mode. That is a very bad idea.
You have two choices.
1)Put the cisco in bridge mode and use the asus.
2) just you the cisco, and as the last person you spoke to explained change the dhcp range to 192.168.1.x-192.168.1.xxx you can use the asus as your access point as the linksys wrt54gs is only a G device.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would have them update the internal IP addresses on the device. Possibly get a stand alone access point. I use Engenius and have been happy with them. See if you can return the Asus.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have them update the internal IP addresses on the device. Possibly get a stand alone access point. I use Engenius and have been happy with them. See if you can return the Asus.
You dont need them to do it. Its like any router, you can log in and do it yourself.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought it was managed by comcast. That is a no brainer to update their router and be done with it.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just getting tired of the run around with comcast . On 4th modem now still no bridge mode . What's wrong with DMZ mode? . I am ready to just use the Asus as a wireless access point . Just irritating if you spent all that money on buying it

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is why I don't do the combo units. If they have wireless, I disable it.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally in bridge mode on took 2hours on phone today. I have half my camera up and running. I have a bad port on Asus rtn66u now from power surge. Hope fully be fully back up in a day or two.. Comcast what a pain in the ass!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Asus makes excellent home routers, particularly once you've installed Tomato firmware on them. Tomato has a much better interface, more options, and almost never requires a reboot for a settings change or the addition of a port forwarding rule.

I'm glad you got your ISP to put their router in bridge mode. That is definitely the way to go.

ISPs can be a pain sometimes. I live in a small town of less than 1000 people and there is only one ISP with wired internet service in this place. Their prices are actually about 15% higher in my town than in towns where there is competition. 20 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up service would be $85 per month here, after their price cuts last week.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is expensive. I get 60/4 (usually 65/4.5) with 1 static IP for $85.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are the parental controls with tomato fw? Is there a benifit for a novice user to upgrade ?

I just upgrade to 100 Mbps DL with the economy digital tv for 92 bucks plus tax

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New networking question:

I have a older linksys WRt54 set as a wireless assess point in my barn about two hundred feet from home (hardwired underground). It has 4 ports ,one is used to for lan, other three for cameras.. I need one more port for a new camera.. Can I just install another switch before router in barn?

My network now is cable modem, to asus router, to a switch. Which feeds house and barn

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you can add a simple 4 or 5 port ethernet switch, and it should work either way whether the new switch is first or the linksys is, in the chain, since they're passing through hardwired ethernet.

If you didn't already have 3 cams up and running, with an injector I presume, I'd say get a 8port 4poe switch to keep things simple and just plug and play the cameras. Your case any inexpensive basic switch should do plus whatever method you are using to get power to the camera.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's a injector ? I had three camera up for awhile just bought two more hiks off AE for 49 bucks . One is going on barn and one for house. I bought cheap power adapters for them vs a Poe switch . Maybe I will upgrade. But I would like to get two ssd first! Lol

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not POE injectors but power adapters then. They work and give out power to get the job done. :)

Some SSD have really been coming down in price in the past month. Black Friday may hold more than a few SSD treats ;)

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know if I can wait till Black Friday.lol

Some Poe Injector are as much as a poe switch!! .. I might use one for the house cam that would make my life easier!!