Network unreachable message on camera

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m in the process of adding a new Dome IP camera to a system we have taken over. It’s got a POE switch that already has a camera on it. How when I add the camera it just says network unreachable.

The cable is fine and it has the two lights on the Poe switch. It’s a NVR 4.0 gui.

Any help or advice?

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The one I’m adding is 192.168.1.164 the other is completely different. I can’t remember that address sorry.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are not connecting it to the POE of the NVR, then you need to first put the camera on the same IP address subnet of the rest of the system.
Sorry it’s connected to a Poe switch the NVR is a hybrid.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay so how do I change it? To get it to work?

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, use the mouse and monitor on your NVR and navigate to network settings to see what subnet the NVR is on.
Okay I will check that. Do I need to changethe IP Address on the new Camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay I will check that. Do I need to changethe IP Address on the new Camera?
Yes, you'll log into its webGUI using that IP address you mentioned earlier and change it to a unique IP in the same subnet as the NVR's LAN and the working cam (but not the same as either of those, of course).
I think you can use SADP Tools to find that new cam and change the IP.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you do this through the NVR as I don’t currently have a laptop. We’re getting new ones apparently.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you do this through the NVR as I don’t currently have a laptop. We’re getting new ones apparently.
No, the NVR can't talk to a cam on a different subnet. You need a PC or laptop and unless you put the PC on the 192.168.1.XXX subnet it can't either so if you don't know how to change the subnet of your PC it's best to leave it alone and use the SADP Tools I linked above to access the new cam's webGUI and change its IP.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do I need to activate the new camera? Sorry for the daft questions. We don’t use Hikvision and our boss has said to sort it for a mate.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I assumed it would work out the box. Most things are plug and play now.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couldn’t get it to work. Changed the ip address of the DVR and the other camera went off. Then changed the one that I was adding to a ip address in the range of the dvr and nothing. Definitely think it’s a laptop job.