Network connection problem

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This is actually a win 10 problem, but BI is saddled with it. If the wired connection from my BI machine to the switch is physically broken, then reestablished, win 10 does not reconnect. Running the network troubleshooter does not help. The only thing I found to get win 10 back on the network was to disable and reenable the NIC, or reboot. I shut off "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", which didn't help.

This can be simulated by just pulling the network cable out of the computer for a bit and plugging it back in. If I do this with a linux machine, it's back on line in a few seconds. With win 7, the troubleshooter eventually fixes it. With win 10, nothing short of reenabling the NIC or rebooting fixes it, that I've found.

Is there some setting that will get the machine to reconnect when the network cable is connected?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I resolved this going through the typical random trying things. What fixed the connection problem was disabling all of the Intel management stuff in the BIOS. Another good change to make is for the machine to automatically power up on AC power restoration. This is with an HP desktop.