Need your feedback for these two Empire NVRs

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning on getting a replacement for my IVS-deprived NVR42A04-P. Fan noise is top priority so any fan in addition to the case fan is a no-no -- not even a Noctua will convince me. Got 4 cams for now (2 interior Amcrest and 2 exterior 5231s) but probably will be adding a couple more in the near future including a non-ANPR/LPR cam behind a mailbox. What I'm considering right now are these two NVRs from Andy's to pair it with a POE switch:

Option 1: Dahua NVR4108HS-8P-EI $189

Distinctive features: No physical power switch and alarm In/Out, USB 2.0, 8-CH POE with total power budget of only 72W, power brick, Bandwidth 256Mbps/180Mbps

Option 2: Dahua NVR5208-EI $305

Distinctive features: Non-POE, Alarm In/Out, USB 3.0, power brick, Bandwidth 384Mbps/200Mbps

POE Switch models:

1. 2. 3. Any Cisco/Ebay recommendation as long as it doesn't have active cooling

About option 1. I'm more inclined to go with this because it's cheaper and the 256Mbps bandwidth is way more than enough for six cameras. However, some features were a downgrade from my old one, namely, from USB 3.0 -> 2.0, no Alarm In/Out, no power switch and only one room for a hard drive. The total power budget for the ports is a measly 72W and for this reason I have no intention of using them. Anyone have any experience with NVRs that don't have power switches? I've read somewhere someone fried theirs by constantly plugging/unplugging the power brick. I just hope this is not something serious. Any thoughts on this?

Option 2 will depend entirely on your comments and feedback. If you have any negative things to say about option 1 or even the slightest doubt about its performance and durability because it's cheap, just say it. If the negatives start piling up I will be going for this. I'm only considering this model because one, I like how fast USB 3 can download minutes-long .dav files and I'm already accustomed to it and, two, I can still use the old hard drive to supplement the new one that I am going to purchase should I end up getting a 2-HD capacity recorder. For me, these two features alone are worth paying the extra $116.

My first choice for the switch is the Reolink because it's got 2 separate Gigabit ports for the uplink (which I prefer) and 10/100Mbps ports for the cameras with a total power budget of 120W.

I know there are other alternatives out there but charity starts first in the family and I've got to support our Andy. ;)

Thanks in advance, peeps!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The reolink ports are 10/100. the NetGear ports are Gigabit 10/100/1000. more is better. Some systems may act fine with a 10/100 switch, but i havent found that to be the case for my 2 systems of BI.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The reolink ports are 10/100. the NetGear ports are Gigabit 10/100/1000. more is better. Some systems may act fine with a 10/100 switch, but i havent found that to be the case for my 2 systems of BI.
Yep, more is better I understand. But I’m just not comfortable plugging in non-POE devices to ports that are powerered even with auto-sensing. Gives me the hibbie jibbies. BTW, forgot to take that off my list…my apologies. Anyway, these cameras don’t really need gigabit ports, do they?

Most here will recommend the 5xxx series.
I know the 5xxx is a bit overkill for my current needs, but the convenience of that power switch, the USB 3 and the ability to store to two hard drives are hard to pass up. For me, the real dealbreaker for the 4xxx is the lack of a power switch. I could jerry-rig one but will it void any warranty?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
A small load of cams should be fine on a 10/100 Reolink, but our seasoned veteran @looney2ns always recommends the Netgears. I believe they have some models with Non-POE ports,
POE as an electrical standard is well established.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with NVRs that don't have power switches? I've read somewhere someone fried theirs by constantly plugging/unplugging the power brick. I just hope this is not something serious. Any thoughts on this?
I don't understand why anyone would be turning their NVR on and off (or unplugging/plugging in) frequently.........it's for surveillance which should be left on for obvious reasons. I can't see that having a NVR power ON/OFF switch would be favored over unplugging/plugging the power brick as it's one more thing that could fail mechanically if over-used. Plug it in, power it up and leave it alone unless physically relocating the NVR, installing a HDD, plugging into a UPS, etc.

I think you're sweating things that don't really matter. Go with recommendations by experienced IPCT members, consider number of cameras it'll handle, total max bandwidth ability, decide built-in POE or external POE switch and lastly, price.

Just my opinion. :cool:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, no point of turning an NVR off and on.
Get a 16ch version, you'll be glad you did. Only cost a few more dollars.
I wouldn't buy the Reolink switch....period.
Netgear has always treated me right over the years. Don't skimp on a POE switch, it's the backbone of your surveillance system.
A non-poe power device is perfectly safe in plugging it into a POE switch. Total non-issue.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd go with the 5000 series NVR. Know that when you enable AI on the NVR your bandwidth max drops to that lower number or about 60% of total rated
Noted.

Currently I have 4 cams running on the old NVR and I could see myself adding 1 or 2 more depending on what’s going to happen after November. I will be maxing out at 6 and that is it.

Right now I’m eyeballing this Netgear GS308PP 8-port Gig 83W Poe budget. Seems to be a perfect fit for my needs (6 cams and remaining two ports for uplink to router and NVR).

About the AI enabling thing, I already get that. But in what instance only should you enable AI on the recorder?

I think you're sweating things that don't really matter.
I get that. But sometimes becoming too focused on little things you tend to forget those that matter.:facepalm:

I agree, no point of turning an NVR off and on.
Get a 16ch version, you'll be glad you did. Only cost a few more dollars.
I wouldn't buy the Reolink switch....period.
Netgear has always treated me right over the years. Don't skimp on a POE switch, it's the backbone of your surveillance system.
A non-poe power device is perfectly safe in plugging it into a POE switch. Total non-issue.
My concern is the durability of the 4xxx having no physical power switch and how it deals with the arcing that usually occurs when you plug and unplug the power brick either at the wall or at the back of the NVR. I think it’s this effect that shortens the life of a circuit board — this is just my opinion.

Okay, Netgear for the win!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only time you would enable the AI by the NVR is if the camera doesn't have AI, but as noted using NVR AI can cut important parameters in half and makes the NVR less capable overall.

Whether you are turning the NVR off by a switch or unplugging, either way can shorten the lifespan of the NVR. Heck I have had many components go out on the NVR and power cycling certainly won't help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Noted.

Currently I have 4 cams running on the old NVR and I could see myself adding 1 or 2 more depending on what’s going to happen after November. I will be maxing out at 6 and that is it.

Right now I’m eyeballing this Netgear GS308PP 8-port Gig 83W Poe budget. Seems to be a perfect fit for my needs (6 cams and remaining two ports for uplink to router and NVR).

About the AI enabling thing, I already get that. But in what instance only should you enable AI on the recorder?

I get that. But sometimes becoming too focused on little things you tend to forget those that matter.:facepalm:

My concern is the durability of the 4xxx having no physical power switch and how it deals with the arcing that usually occurs when you plug and unplug the power brick either at the wall or at the back of the NVR. I think it’s this effect that shortens the life of a circuit board — this is just my opinion.

Okay, Netgear for the win!
For the same money consider the GS108PP with 123W