Need to reboot BI Service around once a week

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys;

I have 3 separate BI servers running and I only seem to have an issue with the one.

Everything will run fine for around a week, then I'll notice that the video frame rate on one of the cameras becomes really slow. Normally at 25fps it drops to 8fps or so. If I look at the performance monitor on the PC, the bandwidth which is normally about 30mpbs, alternates between 30mbps and around 4mbps every few seconds.

To fix this problem, I just kill the BI process and when it starts up again all is good for another week or so.

I'm running the latest critically stable version 5.3.9.17

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It just started happening again, so I've gotten some captures.

Here is a view of task manager showing the network bandwidth oscillating. When it's functioning properly it stays at the top level in a steady state.
blueirisethernet.JPG

Here's a picture from the Blue Iris stats screen. Normally the camera is running at 25fps with a 1 second iframe interval. Here you can see it's running at 7.39fps and a 0.32 second iframe interval. (Camera IP 192.168.1.15)

blueirisstats.JPG

Here's a picture from the Blue Iris stats screen when things are working properly.

blueirisnormal.JPG

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. Thats a new one on me. I've had a year to get into the B. I. Life. seen a few hiccups (usually self imposed) but have only 1 finnicky camera. If their is a power burp in the building the one camera will act very strange. until I kill the POE to it and do a hard reboot.....But I don't think thats your issue. What kind of Camera is it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly seems weird, so would be interesting to see what camera it is.

Have you tried restarting the camera in BI instead of killing the service?

If not give that a try, and if that works, then setup in the Watchdog tab to have it reconnect the camera after so many hours.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera is a IPC-T5442TM-AS

I have a few of these cameras on other PC BI setups and they have never been an issue. This issue is specific to this PC/BI setup. I'll try restarting the camera next time it comes up and see. I appreciate the suggestion of the watchdog!

I was thinking it would be a nice feature to be able to have a regularly scheduled restart of the BI Service.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that shouldn't be the camera unless it is failing.

You could set up a Task Scheduler to restart BI.

Hopefully a restart of the camera in BI takes care of it and then the Watchdog would be perfect for that.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if the ethernet jack connector/ on either end of the connection has a crimp thats not quite all the way home. just a thought. see if the camera acts different on a different wire.

oh oh oh,,,how about swappping a 5442 with a 5442 from anothe rlocation and see who acts up first?

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, it started happening again today. So the first thing I did was to restart the camera through the iOS app. When it came back online, the streaming wasn't intermittent anymore, however the camera had lost it's custom bitrate settings. Usually I have it set to H265 custom at the max rate of 20480mbps. Instead it was set to 8192mbps.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it started happening again today. So the first thing I did was to restart the camera through the iOS app. When it came back online, the streaming wasn't intermittent anymore, however the camera had lost it's custom bitrate settings. Usually I have it set to H265 custom at the max rate of 20480mbps. Instead it was set to 8192mbps.
Yep, I have a camera that does that too when the camera reboots - but that has nothing to do with Blue Iris restarting a camera. So perhaps the camera had rebooted recently.