need suggestion(s) to replace a dead dome camera outside.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Our DS-2CD2712F-I dome camera died completely and I need to replace it.

It needs to endure snow, rain and a constant southern exposure in Michigan and I know you don't recommend domes outside especially in that kind of environment.

I included a couple of picture of what the old camera was covering and what I need to cover with the possibility of widening the view (FOV) a little.

Here are a couple of choices that I would like some opinions / suggestions about using. The spec’s seem somewhat similar to the old camera is what I based my decision on.

DS-2CD2643G1-IZ 4MP IR Varifocal Bullet Camera – not sure if 4MP is appropriate or 2MP is better.
DS-2CD2343G0-I 4MP Outdoor IR Turret Camera – not sure if a Turret camera would be good in this scenario.

The camera will be mounted on a South facing wall approximately 18 feet high covering a parking lot where we normally have new vehicle inventory.

During the day it’s for monitoring customer traffic that may be looking at new vehicles for purchase, the evening hours is more for security. To get time of night, how many persons, male or female, clothing description and what vehicle(s) may have been tampered with. Any more detail is a plus.

Pic 1 is an overview of where the camera is mounted; the green is approx. of area of coverage of the old camera. The added Orange is the area I'd like to see covered but not critical.
Pic 2 is a view from the old camera, the red lines are light posts that come on at night. There is also a light on the same wall as the camera facing out into the lot.Pic 1 overview.jpgPic 2 old cam view.jpg

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@looney2ns, thanks for that link.
I should have mentioned I need to record to a Hikvision DS-96064NI-I16 NVR.
Will a Dahua camera work with Hikvision video recorders?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns, thanks for that link.
I should have mentioned I need to record to a Hikvision DS-96064NI-I16 NVR.
Will a Dahua camera work with Hikvision video recorders?
Always best to keep the brand of the cam and the NVR the same for full compatibility.
The Dahua should work, but some features of the cam may not work.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is a bit late but for anyone making some changes this is what I found to replace our failed DS-2CD2712F-I dome camera.
I replaced it with a Hikvision DS-2CD2623G1-IZS 2MP Outdoor IR Bullet Camera, which has given us a much better picture and FOV.
Cadillac_Cad Rr Lot_NVR_20240209115347_6996425.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Our DS-2CD2712F-I dome camera died completely and I need to replace it.

It needs to endure snow, rain and a constant southern exposure in Michigan and I know you don't recommend domes outside especially in that kind of environment.

I included a couple of picture of what the old camera was covering and what I need to cover with the possibility of widening the view (FOV) a little.

Here are a couple of choices that I would like some opinions / suggestions about using. The spec’s seem somewhat similar to the old camera is what I based my decision on.

DS-2CD2643G1-IZ 4MP IR Varifocal Bullet Camera – not sure if 4MP is appropriate or 2MP is better.
DS-2CD2343G0-I 4MP Outdoor IR Turret Camera – not sure if a Turret camera would be good in this scenario.

The camera will be mounted on a South facing wall approximately 18 feet high covering a parking lot where we normally have new vehicle inventory.

During the day it’s for monitoring customer traffic that may be looking at new vehicles for purchase, the evening hours is more for security. To get time of night, how many persons, male or female, clothing description and what vehicle(s) may have been tampered with. Any more detail is a plus.

Pic 1 is an overview of where the camera is mounted; the green is approx. of area of coverage of the old camera. The added Orange is the area I'd like to see covered but not critical.
Pic 2 is a view from the old camera, the red lines are light posts that come on at night. There is also a light on the same wall as the camera facing out into the lot.View attachment 151329View attachment 151330
Many much better cameras available now, if the recorder can handle it look for higher res ( and larger sensor ) camera ..

1707507628742.png

Attachments