Need some guidance for ipcam setup - want to use what I have rather than buying something new

curiousv

n3wb
Reaction score
I have following spare items - just sitting around---
1. I have 2 Desktop SFF - one with i7 6th gen processor -32gb ram and another i5 - 4th gen - 16gb ram
2. I have 2 generic NVR - both have 2 tb surveillance hdd
3. I have 3 dual band routers - one is Archer A7 v5 / Linksys EA6900 v 1.1 / Netgear R6250 V2 (only one of them - Archer A7 has openwrt firmware which I have flashed)
4. I have SonicWALL - apl19-05c NSA 240 switch
5. I have 3 ip cameras - one of them is dual lens POE camera (I don't mind buying 3 more POE camera because someone shared a link with me that wifi cams are not good)

I understand generally people here recommend Blue iris - but since I have 2 nvr with surveillance hdd sitting around - I would like to use them...

If you firmly believe I wont be able achieve my primary goal - network security with what I have - please advise what should I buy...
I am not stubborn on using what I have ...just prefer that

So please guide me how best I can use what I have and still secure my home network from IOT devices like ip cams
@TL1096r @Ri22o @SpacemanSpiff

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So have you tried simply plugging in the cams into the NVR to see what happens?

You could also download an eval copy of BI and again try that with your existing hardware to see what happens and if BI picks the cams up and is happy with them?

Unfortunately you will have to do some work as with the variety of hardware around unless you get real lucky and find somebody here with the exact same the onus will be on you to investigate.

Also for proper help list the NVR models and cam models.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not all NVRs are created equal.

A generic NVR may only be rated at 80Mbps bandwidth or less and would be poor choices as the NVR will stutter with a few higher MP cams.

It is best practice to match NVR brand to camera brand to ensure full functionality.

You can always pull the HDDs out of the NVR to put into a PC for BI.

Or you run the NVR with a few cams attached to it just recording 24/7 as a backup to BI

But as pointed out, without model names and specs, only generic answers can be provided.