Need motion activated photo upload recommendations

branded

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for simple image uploads to an ftp server or service with notifications.

I want to stay under $200 per camera. If my simple needs can be met under $100 per all the better.

We have iPhones, but I am a PC guy and prefer to use an MS PC to setup and receive notifications on and to view the images on.

I live in the country and no one is home all day. This is of course for personal security.

I have a 1 meg connection and that's all that I can get. I have no need for video or audio. I do want quality images though.

I prefer wireless cameras to avoid having to run ethernet cables. I have electricity already at each location I will place a camera.

My eventual hope depends entirely on the costs, as I must be able to afford it. I'd like one camera inside and four cameras outside under my covered porches. No pan or tilt is necessary. My hope is that someone knows of cameras with no frills that I can afford that take reasonable resolution photos via motion sensing and upload them to a server that is reasonable secure and notify me.

My place is fenced, gated and posted. I simply want to know if anyone breaches and is mucking about my home while I am at work, as no one can legally be on my porch or in my home. Images must be of quality high enough to identify anyone that might trespass. Porches are straight shots 30 feet to 50 feet long. I'm going on the notion that they will be unaware there are cameras and will be photographed before they have a chance to cover up or disable the cameras.

Thank you all. My eyes are crossed from reading on and off over the past year and I have only scratched the surface of this topic and have no idea of what camera might suit my needs best. Some hands on experienced feedback will be golden.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will want PIR based motion detection or run a pc with vms software like blue iris that can minimize false alerts. Use a camera with an alarm in. Otherwise the cameras own motion detection will generate lots of false alerts.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I think people's eyes glazed over when you asked for 5 hidef wireless cameras, ftp, picture emails from the camera, and no video. What you want is easy peasy with a Blue Iris installation, particularly with PIR motion detectors attached to your cameras. What you're asking for specifically isn't terribly common on here. Most folks have wired cameras for a good reason and do their email notifications (if any) from the NVR or computer.

I'd start with a few of these- http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-DH-IPC-HFW4421D-AS-Audio-4MP-HD-WDR-Network-LXIR-Bullet-Camera-CCTV-IP/32521895436.html
I don`t have experience with Dahua`s in-camera FTP support but I don`t remember hearing that it was broken.

Add one of these to each- http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pet-immune-wired-outdoor-pir-motion-detector-with-microwave-module-radio-transmission-module-etc/2023923305.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_1_10037_10017_405_404_407_406_10032_10040,searchweb201603_2&btsid=e7057c98-2bc9-476d-ae6e-ec73ab5df142

And if it HAD to be wireless, then use these- https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanostation-NSM5-802-11a-Hi-power/dp/B00HXT8KJ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468172419&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ubuntu+nanostation+m5

The wireless part blows your budget though because they`re usually used in pairs per camera, but you can do a sunflower arrangement with a single central AP receiving from multiple cameras so 5 pieces for 4 cameras. Going with M2s instead of M5s will put you at $50 per camera plus, say, a Picostation at about $80 as the central hub which would be plugged into your router. With M2s then you`re stuck with 2.4ghz interference from microwaves, cordless phones, etc though. I`ve never personally tried 4 4mp cameras tied to a Picostation though but worst case you could bump down the cam`s framerate and bitrate to lower the bandwidth.

Running wires for each cam is the best, most reliable way if the cams and router are in the same building though. 8 port POE switch (4 port POE) at about $50, plus a roll of cable, some ends, and a crimper.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget 5 ghz radio loses signal strength much worse through walls and such. As crowded as 2.4ghz is, it is still best when you don't have clear line of sight. And get the Nanostation loco version, as they are smaller.

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use Resilio (Bit torrent Sync) to upload the pics directly to any number of locations as soon as they occur without having to worry about the FTP part. Works pretty well for clips too.