Need help

MacAmb77

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello guys what's up?
I have a weird problem.
I have a building of four floors .
Running cat6 cable from basement to each floor the max distance from basement to Fourth is not more than 40 Meter.cables are connected between fortinet poe switchs.

Ok here is the problem:

The Two of the cables from basement to Fourth floor and ground floor are not working and both tested with tester and both of them working fine no issue and there is no interference.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you may have to define "not working" a little more

You didnt specify what kind of test you did on the cable, i.e. You may have continuity on the cable pairs but they may not be wired to standard etc.

If its a managed managed switch, are the switchports administratively enabled/disabled? Is PoE enabled on those ports? If you plug a powered device that doesnt require PoE into the other end of the cable do you get connectivity to the switch? Do the interface statistics for those ports show any issues? If you plug a known working cable into those ports and plug the device into that does it work?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great questions ^^.

Regarding the 2 cables that are "not working" now, did they work properly until recently or were they just installed and never worked?

Last edited: