Need help with camera placement in two locations w/ photos

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have a 2 story house with a basement; the basement has 2 daylight windows on the utility side. I'd like to have a camera recording that side of the house, including the windows.

20191124_194339787_iOS-min.jpg 20191124_194353469_iOS-min.jpg 20191124_194431243_iOS-min.jpg 20191124_194408952_iOS-min.jpg

The photos above are looking at the utility side with the direct vent and radon mitigation system. I'd like to mount a camera (turret?) near where the radon pipe comes out of the house.
  1. Would that be too close to the windows?
  2. The pipe runs through to the basement, I could drill a hole through large enough for a CAT6 to run through - would that be sufficient?
  3. At some point, I might have a camera facing out back towards the sliding glass door (1st photo, go to the right)
  4. Would a Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-L 4MP do fine outside in the elements? Should I use the pendant cap?
The other camera would be out front on the front porch, the photo below is a bad panoramic but you can see that on the right, I have a Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-L 4MP that covers the driveway and part of the lawn. I'd like to have another possibly mounted on the left corner for the porch to cover the front windows but I'm wondering if that's not really necessary and should concentrate on the side of the house?

20191124_194523666_iOS-min.jpg

Attachments

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am no expert so can't really help you. Make sure you read the cliffnotes though. Look into the Boobie cam also. It can give you two cameras with one run of cable. Otherwise you could use a cable splitter and have two cameras there pointing each way. Depends on the access points and vulnerable points are located.

Best to plan to mount cameras about 2 meters maximum so that you can get face ID.

OT: Curious to see the 'slab' exposed? I thought that in your climate it should be insulated with styrene on the outside?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm no expert either FWIW

Agree with @Rebelx you want the camera 6-7 ft from the ground.
1- Should be fine, you're not watching the windows, you're watching someone approaching them
2- sure
3-Not clear ion the location of the sliding door but if you're going to look 90 degrees around two side of the corner, I'd recommend two cameras
4- No experience with them but its IP67 rated so yeah it'll be fine. The connection is the part to make sure is weatherproof.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi jake @Jake1979

I would pull an extra cat6/5e line to any location ( N+1 ), just in case you want to add another camera - have a failure on a line - or even add an IR illuminator or other device...

Probably the best is to check out the test rig ( search "test rig" ) and get a camera setup and try out some possible placements.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dual cables sound like a dream for me but absolutely makes sense!