Need help to setup Solar pannel solution

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

I hope i'm on the right section for posting my question.

I need to power 2 cameras (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) , 1 POE switch and 1 Ubiquiti PowerStation 2 (I know it's old, but i have 4 of them already)

Here a schematic:

solar camera project.png
I need advice for the Remote location:
- To replace the TP-link switch (48v) with a 12V (POE) switch, witch one do you recommand ?
- Find the right MPPT charge controller, witch one do you recommand ?
- Find the batteries and pannels number and specifications to allow the setup to run 24/7/365
How many batteries/pannel, power, load .....

Here the solar activity in the location

solar production mekla.png

Feel free to give me your thoughts

Regards

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you want to replace the 48v switch?

I can't make recommendations for batteries, charge controller, panels, etc, sorry,

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you already have the 48 volt PoE switch?

Why do you want to use a 12 volt model?

If I were you, i would use one of these, keeping with 48 volts, use 4 batteries, a 48 volt charge controller, and solar panels. Stick it all in an enclosure big enough for it all and call it done.

The altronix switch takes 48-56 volts DC input from whatever power supply you want.

If you already have a 48 volt PoE switch, you could use that to do the same thing.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
your graph above dosn't indicate if that's total insolation (sunlight hitting the ground per day per square meter, for example) or the
the amount generated by a certain number of specific solar panels. (figure the best panels are about 12-15% efficient)

but if your load is 30W * 24hrs = 720Wh/day, you need several times that in battery capacity so you're not totally draining them overnight or during spells of low-light days, etc...

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Since you show what looks like 4 car batteries, if they are lead acid, they will probably not like being discharged more then 50% on a regular basis.
Some deep cycle will let you go farther. Deep cycle recommended!
Also watch the input voltage of the POE switch, make sure it will work with the voltage swing you will have. With lead acid batteries, you will probably float them around 52.80 volts, and they will drop below 47.0 volts on discharge.
If you equalize the batteries, it will go probably around 60 volts. I have to disconnect some items while I equalize once a year.

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks a lot for your responses

Regarding the switch:
I already have the TP-Link TL-SG2210P (8 PoE ports, with total PoE power budget of 53W )

Maybe using a 12v switch may reduce the battery/pannel number ?

@Old Timer
I will try for the beginning to use car batteries, in fact the discharged shouldn't go under 50%, so it has to be carrefull for the calculation
Next step will be using the deep cycle batteries, not for the moment
Regarding the input voltage of the POE switch: External Power Adapter(Output: 48VDC/1.25A)

@pozzello
Here the Monthly solar irradiation estimates for the location (hope it helps)

Monthly solar irradiation estimates.png

Regards

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Just some sample calculations to help you determine how size things.

solar:

You have a yearly minimum of 100kwh/m2 monthly insolation in the winter.

you need 720Wh/day * 30 days ~= 21.6kWh/mo.

assuming your solar panels are 15% efficient, you need 100/15 * 21.6 == 144kwh of insolation, or 1.44 sq meters of modern solar panel at the appropriate voltage.
That seems do-able, unless i've messed up the math somewhere... :)

as for batteries:

720Wh/day. @ 48V that's 15Ah/day. (or 15Ah each from 4 12V batteries)

If you want to run for 3 days with no sun and not deplete your batteries below 50%, you need a rated 90Ah batteries (4 of em if 12V).
(typical ratings are at a 20hr rate, ie, the amount you can draw from a fully charged battery over 20 hours before being 'depleted', which is really around 12V resting for Lead acid chemistry)

That's a relatively common size, at least... your average full-size car/truck battery will be OK for this (you need 4 of em,) but if you wanted to go low-maintenance deep-cycle, I like these:
12v 110ah TD100-12 Tempest Deep Cycle AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery $220.00

you could use a single 48V charge controller to charge them all in series, but
I would CHARGE the batteries all in parallel, @ 12v volts each using their own 12V solar charge controller. This keeps them as balanced as possible.
DO NOT connect them in parallel to a single 12V charger, as this will preclude you from wiring them in series for 48V power.

Then they are also wired in SERIES for 48V to power the PoE switch & everything downstream of it...

You might even run 5 or 6 batteries (for nominal 60 or 72 V) with a voltage regulator/converter to 48V, to provide more consistant 48V power to the system if needed...
(battery voltages will fluctuate depending on state of charge, age, temperature, etc... and things might not run properly if the total available is below 48V...)

not cheap, but do-able I think...

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your reply
you need 720Wh/day * 30 days ~= 21.6kWh/mo.
1x switch @ 48V*1.25=60W*24H= 1440 W/day
1x wifi antenna @ 12W*24H= 288 W/day
2x cameras @ 2*8.5W*24H= 408 W/day
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total is 2136 W/day

Where did you find 720Wh/day number ?

Is that ok or did i made a mistake ?

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the specs for the switch would be if ALL the ports were loaded. as it is powering the other devices, you don't add them in again.

But you don't need to worry about the swicth'es MAX power draw, just enought to power the swicth itself and the 2 cams + router. i used 30W as the total.
each cam is really only about 3W during the day, maybe 9W at night with IR on... so assuming 30W constant is quite conservative/generous...

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to not understood correctly, to power all the items (1x wifi antenna, 1 switch and 2 cameras) 30W will be enough ?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes. add up the power of your cams and the router (9w x 2 + 12w) = 30W.

the switch itself draws a few watts, but given that the cams really only draw ~3W during the day (9W at night with IR on,)
30W is reasonable guess at the total average load...

30W draw over 24hrs is 720Wh per day.

Let me respectifully suggest that If you don't understand these basic concepts of electricity, it may be best to have someone else build this system for you...

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just try to understood your calculation

I thought i have to add all the power of each item as indicate on the datasheet of all equipments, this is why i get total power sonsumtion @2136 W/day
but if it is 720Wh per day good to know that

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks a lot for your responses

Regarding the switch:
I already have the TP-Link TL-SG2210P (8 PoE ports, with total PoE power budget of 53W )

Maybe using a 12v switch may reduce the battery/pannel number ?

@Old Timer
I will try for the beginning to use car batteries, in fact the discharged shouldn't go under 50%, so it has to be carrefull for the calculation
Next step will be using the deep cycle batteries, not for the moment
Regarding the input voltage of the POE switch: External Power Adapter(Output: 48VDC/1.25A)

Regards
I am running a 48 volt system for my horse barn. It is used by both interior LED lights, small radio, 4 cameras, and ubiquity M5 link.
I have 4 each Optima SC31DM AGM batteries. Think they are 80 Amp Hour. Then 4 x 100? or 150? watt solar cells.
Interior lights and radio gets used a lot during the day.
At times these cells have been lower then 50% and are still working great 4 years later.