Need help picking new cams

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In @bigredfish example it was a bug in a beta release of the iDMSS app that they fixed in an update as evidenced by that thread is from 2019 and nobody is posting about a similar issue. Apparently Synology choses not to provide a fix.

But since you want to jump on the Dahua is banned wagon and claim Synology isn't updating Dahua cameras since they are banned, you don't think Synology doesn't sell all around the world?

Oh wait their website shows they sell to many countries without a ban. I stand by my statement that it is a Synology issue. I have your exact camera and it works flawlessly in BI and limited to 3 connections.

1714658867649.png

I got new tires for my car and now the car won't start...I am sending the tires back :lmao:

McCarthy

n3wb
Reaction score
In @bigredfish example it was a bug in a beta release of the iDMSS app that they fixed in an update as evidenced by that thread is from 2019 and nobody is posting about a similar issue. Apparently Synology choses not to provide a fix.

But since you want to jump on the Dahua is banned wagon and claim Synology isn't updating Dahua cameras since they are banned, you don't think Synology doesn't sell all around the world?

Oh wait their website shows they sell to many countries without a ban. I stand by my statement that it is a Synology issue.

View attachment 193844

I got new tires for my car and now the car won't start...I am sending the tires back :lmao:

That's why I wrote "who knows". Maybe Synology isn't adding new Dahua cam settings due to the political issues with China, they are Taiwan based after all. It doesn't even matter. The fact is, I have no support for that cam and I mentioned that my entire system is Synology based in my OP. Do you really think I'm now going to change my entire system to make 2 damn 130 dollar cams work?

Using your false tire analogy would be rather: "Hey, I own a C7 and need new 285 rear tires" and you suggesting 345s, then blaming the car for not being able to fit around the damn tire.

At this point this isn't about helping me anymore, just folks getting pissed that I question the holy grail band called EmpireTec.

McCarthy

n3wb
Reaction score
I was just wondering if this forum is sponsored by EmpireTec or something, so I looked around, and found that online shop selling... you guessed it... EmpireTec lol

Now I know whats going on here.

Yeah, both cams get returned and I'm done here.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I don't have a masters in computer science, but I would have bench tested a camera on my system before installing it and if there were an issue that appears is not camera related, I would have sent an email to Synology asking if they plan to add that camera to the drop-down as that seems like a next reasonable step, especially since you already installed the camera.

When I bought a camera that wasn't working right in BI, I sent an email to BI and within two days the camera was added to the drop-down list. Certainly a company the size of Synology could be as responsive?

And it is Empiretech LOL. And there are other vendors here as well...

McCarthy

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I don't have a masters in computer science, but I would have bench tested a camera on my system before installing it and if there were an issue that appears is not camera related, I would have sent an email to Synology asking if they plan to add that camera to the drop-down as that seems like a next reasonable step, especially since you already installed the camera.

When I bought a camera that wasn't working right in BI, I sent an email to BI and within two days the camera was added to the drop-down list. Certainly a company the size of Synology could be as responsive?

And it is Empiretech LOL. And there are other vendors here as well...

I did all the settings on my "test bench" and it worked for 2 days, so I installed the cam. It quit recording 4 days later.

Also, I don't get paid for testing garbage. Looking at your post count, do you get paid for that? Or are you the one selling Empiretech?

Also, no test "bench" needed for this nonsense. You want to see my test bench? Not only can I code in 13 language and scripts, I can also design and repair on 0201 board level with 14 layer pcbs.

As you can see, your trolling attempts backfired big time. Feel free to post your test bench lol

I'm now really done here. What a biased kindergarten. Laughable.

1714660898883.png

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So no email to Synology?

From your first post "2.) Are there any "better" turret cams out? They need to be listed with Synology NAS because I use their Surveillance Station." So you didn't confirm the cameras you bought were in the dropdown? Seems like a logical step if that was important to you.

Nope don't get paid. Not a seller for EmpireTech either.

Glad you think cameras from a $5 billion per year company are garbage. Maybe you should apply to Dahua and offer your services to improve the cameras LOL.

Many here bench test for over a week.

I haven't experienced the issues you have.

I will buy your cams off the refurbished list at a deep discount, so thanks for that :lmao:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The connection issue is based on unknown and unchangeable timeout settings of that cam. Its a new(er) security feature that wasn't tested properly. Not being able to turn it off or change it to unlimited connections is yet another design failure. I could bring out my masters in computer science on that topic, but I won't.

Where did your text regarding "5442-ZAS S3" go? That model is nowhere listed in Synology.

1) "Not being able to turn it off or change it to unlimited connections is yet another design failure. "

I don't see it that way, from a Info Sec point of view -- you have to find ways to counter some attacks .. , from a load view you have to limit the load and ddos issues.

Could the firmware be better - yes, however overall the Dahua ( and Hikvision ) IP camera firmwares have a significant development history.

Every info system / info tech / IoT item I have used / managed have had it's issues .. some are really FUBR .. but most now are quite a bit better than back in the day when you could capture user / password keys flying in the ether and connect to just about everything ..

2) "That's why I wanted to stay with Vivotek cams."

It's fine to stick with Vivotek if you have reasons to do so.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering if this forum is sponsored by EmpireTec or something, so I looked around, and found that online shop selling... you guessed it... EmpireTec lol

Now I know whats going on here.

Yeah, both cams get returned and I'm done here.
Hi @McCarthy

Well .. this forum was active and busy with posts before EmpireTec became so popular as a vendor .. and while EmpireTec is a vendor many of us have come to appreciate, The forum members are free to express their views.

The forum does have a few approved vendors, Nelly's, LTS, Amcrest also iirc .. ( see the vendor section ).

I've been here long enough to know the main people here you see contributing are just your typical fan of IP security cameras .. who volunteer their time to share their knowledge, experience, and viewpoints ( which can get interesting .. see the chit chat area for that )

Personally I am still interested in the root of the problem you've expressed here.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Childish replies like that just confirm the bias that is being pushed here.

I'll make sure to let folks know on my end to stay away from EmpireTec.
Well @McCarthy

"I'll make sure to let folks know on my end to stay away from EmpireTec."

I get it you are frustrated, yet ..

Wow .. perhaps you should stop by the Reolink reddit or other CCTV forums ..

You're now anti-This vendor because a bunch of people who DO NOT work or Represent that vendor posted comments you do not like in a forum not owned by that vendor, ... each of us on this forum will have biases based on our experience. And it's ok if you don't like them.

EmpireTec : Did they deliver a function product to you in a reasonable amount of time, with fair advertising ? ( if so I don't see issues )

Dahua and / or Synology the companies you have a beef with in terms of issues you are venting. This is not EmpireTec issue.

Forum members : It's ok if you don't care for them, they have attempted to help in a honest manner. Did they run short of patience .. yes, of course - we are volunteers, and these folks do a great job helping people out.

Based on the test bench picture you provided, I would think you could find a way to watch your network for connections that Synology attempts to make to the camera, and that would help narrow the question.

As you probably well know, integration testing takes time .. and if you have already found a product that has passed that integration testing ( IP camera and Synology Station along with your network ) then that is an option.

Dahua OEM cameras are used by many Synology users .. so I am not certain what is going on with your setup, and would need to go a read the link provided earlier on this topic.