NDAA Compliant Cameras

Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased and installed some NDAA compliant cameras?
I have been asked to help an organization get cameras in place, and I was pumped to give Andy a big order, but then I confirmed that the cameras installed at this site MUST be NDAA compliant. Bummer! :banghead:

So far, I have looked at SPECO. They push the megapixels on tiny sensors <sigh> and really love 2.8mm lenses. There are some possibilities there, but not the multitude of 5~8mp cams on 1/3" to 1/2.8" sensors.

Of course there is Axis and Bosch... 2 to 4 times the price (or more) for the equivalent features on $170 worth of Dahua... but there may be a bargain out there too.

I just came across Hanwha, but have only looked at specs on a few models at B&H. (If you have used these-- I'd love to hear your opinion)

Does anyone have suggestions on something ELSE I should be looking at for NDAA-compliant cameras that aren't just stupid expensive??

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the installer groups, Hanwha installers claim they've got some features/models comparable to Axis.
Hanwha Vision, previously Hanwha Techwin appears to be from Samsung Wisenet.

Provision ISR maybe easy to get in your area from electrical wholesalers.
TVT (China) may also be easy to get from electrical wholesalers. I think some models are an OEM of Hi Sharp. It appears the brand "Viewtron" from' CCTV Camera Pros' (USA) is also an OEM of Hi Sharp.
Uniview (although Chinese) have some NDAA compliant cameras.
Milesight cameras from Milestone are NDAA compliant. (Edit: Milestone is a completely separate company).
and Reolink seem to be NDAA compliant...?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been asked to help an organization get cameras in place, and ........I confirmed that the cameras installed at this site MUST be NDAA compliant.
Just curious....not asking for their name but do you know why the need for NDAA compliance? Are they funded by a U.S. government agency or ???? :idk:

Reaction score
Just curious....not asking for their name but do you know why the need for NDAA compliance? Are they funded by a U.S. government agency or ???? :idk:
Yes-- they are technically "private", but they get so many govt grants that they are under those NDAA rules. I was reading a little more about NDAA, and a govt procurement site said that it is understood that the cameras can probably be installed and used safely in a properly secured network, but the ban is also about Chinese working conditions, human rights violations, and child labor. Well damn.... we better stop every import of everything made in China then.

Reaction score
In the installer groups, Hanwha installers claim they've got some features/models comparable to Axis.
Hanwha Vision, previously Hanwha Techwin appears to be from Samsung Wisenet.

Provision ISR maybe easy to get in your area from electrical wholesalers.
TVT (China) may also be easy to get from electrical wholesalers. I think some models are an OEM of Hi Sharp. It appears the brand "Viewtron" from' CCTV Camera Pros' (USA) is also an OEM of Hi Sharp.
Uniview (although Chinese) have some NDAA compliant cameras.
Milesight cameras from Milestone are NDAA compliant.
and Reolink seem to be NDAA compliant...?
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I will have to look closely at those Hanwha cams!
This system I am setting up replaces a dead system right now-- huge benefit to not having to plan out network wiring as it is in place at good camera locations! :headbang: I would not have offered to assist with this otherwise.

I have to buy NEW components, which means a NEW computer-- they looked at me like I was crazy when I said I can get something suitable on eBay for $300 or less. So a new one-- I am getting an HP Z2 G9 Tower Workstation with an 13th gen I-7, a 512g M.2, and 16g of ram. In that, I am installing four 18 TB Purple drives, with each drive recording video from a distinct part of the building. They initially said they wanted to get a year of storage (and I had just read the thread on California FFL dealers being forced to meet that requirement). This solution should give them about 3~4 months with 4 mp cameras. Now that I look at many of the hardware stats on these NDAA cams I am more inclined to use 2mp cams (given the sensor sizes I am seeing). That would give me a lot more of the time-based storage capacity.

Reaction score
I have been asked to help an organization get cameras in place, and I was pumped to give Andy a big order, but then I confirmed that the cameras installed at this site MUST be NDAA compliant. Bummer! :banghead:

So far, I have looked at SPECO. They push the megapixels on tiny sensors <sigh> and really love 2.8mm lenses. There are some possibilities there, but not the multitude of 5~8mp cams on 1/3" to 1/2.8" sensors.

Of course there is Axis and Bosch... 2 to 4 times the price (or more) for the equivalent features on $170 worth of Dahua... but there may be a bargain out there too.

I just came across Hanwha, but have only looked at specs on a few models at B&H. (If you have used these-- I'd love to hear your opinion)

Does anyone have suggestions on something ELSE I should be looking at for NDAA-compliant cameras that aren't just stupid expensive??
How many cameras do they need for this installation and what's their budget?

Are you a channel Partner for Axis or are you going to work with anyone who is?

If they have the budget my vote would be for Axis cameras. They have 5-year warranties with firmware (Axis OS) support for about 10 years from the date of the product launch. The Q35 dome series, P14 bullet series and up would be the series with the MP to image sensor ratio you're looking for. The image processing on these cameras are impressive (which I would expect for the price of them) and need very little configuration to get good quality images of faces and license plates in different lighting conditions both day and night. Their Zipstream technology paired with ABR (Average Bitrate) is also impressive which will save you storage space and bandwidth which is important on larger installs.

Channel partners will get pricing that's different from the MSRP prices listed on the internet. In addition, Channel partners can apply for additional discounts on a specific installations once they surpass a set MSRP value for that job. Do not buy Axis cameras from random websites for this job as you will be paying a lot more for them (and they probably aren't authorized sellers). If you aren't a Channel Partner I suggest you apply if you're able to or find someone who is.

What VMS solution do you plan on using for this install? Personally, I wouldn't be using Blue Iris for this. While I don't believe Blue Iris would violate NDAA, it isn't specifically listed anywhere (that I can find) as being compliant and I would be hesitant to install it and be liable if something were to happen. I would recommend a more appropriate VMS solution such as Digital Watchdog IPVMS, Axis Camera station, MIlestone Xprotect or Genetec. You will most likely get better compatibility with those VMS solutions as they are designed to work with Axis cameras or have plugins to support them. If access control is something they want integrated now or later than I would stick with Axis Camera station, Milestone or Genetec as they all have direct integration with Axis access control units.

You can also look at Uniview as they have some NDAA complaint cameras on the proper image sensor to MP ratio.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

iirc SPECO used to be Dahua OEM from a few years ago ... not certain if they have moved to another OEM

Reaction score
And a turret too, but not available at my local dealer. So no price.
Another one to look at---- Thanks

I looked at the "new" 4mp.... check this out:
1710116294022.png

^^ This is kind of what I am finding with all of these.

The 2mp version ironically has a better sensor size than the 4mp above...

1710116762074.png

and then I google the cost on these...
(although google returned some slightly different model numbers in the results)

1710116873077.png

LOL.... Holy Markup Batman!!
o_Oo_Oo_O